Newport Art House will present its second evening of live music, dance, poetry and art in the beautiful setting of Emmanuel Church on April 21st.
Newport Art House (NAH) is a nonprofit founded by Tracy Jonsson whose mission is to nurture, promote, and showcase the contemporary arts in Newport.
NAH board member Tara Gragg, who is also a dancer with the Island Moving Company, conceived the idea for this performance, which will consist of different vignettes from the featured female-identifying artists. The show will wind its way through different rooms in the church, with the audience moving along to view each artist. In a celebration of history meeting contemporary art, each performer has been tasked with using historical
events to create her material.
Her Stories will feature poets Contessa Brown and Marleny Luna; visual/multimedia artists Jessica Cabral, Carol Scavotto, and Dawn Spears; Island Moving Company dancers Lauren Difede and Katie Moorhead in a piece choreographed by Tara Gragg; and musician and songwriter Valerie Larkin. There will be an artist Q&A session hosted by local poet and activist Jessica (J9) Coulter to close out the performance.
Attendees are encouraged to buy tickets ahead of time at the following link since space is limited ($1 service charge applies): www.newportarthouse.org/rewind-tickets
This event is recommended for audience members ages 12 and up; post-performance reception is strictly 21 and up. Free parking is available in the church parking lot on Dearborn Street. For more information call Tara Gragg at 810-938-3124.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Folk 2021 – The final day of “Folk On” (July 28)
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library