Island Moving Co. invites the public to the Company’s studios at 3 Charles Street in Newport, RI for an Open Rehearsal on Friday, May 4th at 7:00 pm.
The Company will be working with world-renowned choreographer Maurice Causey on a new dance which will be performed at the Company’s May 12th performance at Vets Auditorium in Providence. Tickets for the show are available at the Vets Box Office or through IMC by calling 401 847-4470.
The Open Rehearsal is informal; patrons are welcome to stay for as long as they like to watch the dancers at work with Maurice Causey. The rehearsal will conclude with a short reception to give audience members an opportunity to meet the dancers and the choreographer. The Open Rehearsal is free but space is limited so guests are asked to register at www.islandmovingco.org
Maurice Causey is an American born European based Dance Artist. He began studying ballet in his hometown of Florence, Alabama at the age of 15 .Maurice has danced with several companies including The National Ballet of Canada and William Forsythe’s Frankfurt Ballet. Mr. Causey has been Ballet Master for both the Royal Swedish Ballet and The Netherlands Dance Theatre. He has Choreographed and guest taught for many leading dance companies and schools internationally. Maurice has been a resident choreographer for dance company IMEE based in Miami, Florida from 2011-2013. Additionally, he stages Ballets by William Forsythe internationally. His piece will be performed with live music by composer Damien Simon, at the Island Moving Co. Vets performance, Creative Continuum on May 12th.
Under the leadership of Artistic Director Miki Ohlsen for 36 years, Island Moving Company has produced and presented dances by a diverse group of choreographers, working with musicians, poets, and visual artists. IMC is known for its creative use of unusual venues, creating site specific work at Rosecliff Mansion, Belcourt Castle, the Tall Ship Oliver Hazard Perry, the Great Friends Meeting Hall, Fort Adams, and other notable sites across Newport County.
IMC also works extensively in area schools interacting with students K-12 in curriculum based movement residencies throughout R.I. and Massachusetts impacting over 5,000 children annually. Additionally, IMC operates the Newport Academy of Ballet which provides students from Rhode Island with pre-professional afterschool dance training.
For more information on Island Moving Co.’s 36th season visit www.islandmovingco.org.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits