Steven Heath, founder and executive director of FabNewport, joined me today on What’sUpNewp Radio Edition on AM 1540 WADK to chat about FabNewport and “The Newport Experience”.
According to Heath’s organization -“Newport is one of Rhode Island’s poorest cities. It is an urban school district with more than 64% of the population (Thompson Middle School Students) living at, near or below poverty. Most of the children are unaware of the cultural and economic opportunities available locally”.
FabNewport teaches kids how to make stuff but they say they are most interested in inspiring youth to grow the skills and confidence so they can go out and make their lives.
“The Newport Experience” is the chance for underserved middle school children to have the summer of their dreams. Biking, swimming, sailing, historical visits, worksite trips, making in the lab and selling goods at the farmers market.
For more information on FabNewport, visit www.fabnewport.org.
Tune into What’sUpNewp Radio Edition with Ryan Belmore every weekday at 1 pm on AM 1540 WADK. It’s where to get the scoop on what’s happening, new and to do in Newport County and across Rhode Island. Special guests, interviews, entertainment, commentary and more make this a can’t-miss hour of live and local radio.
More From What’s Up Newp
- Newport Polo’s 20th annual charity gala will benefit Jeffrey Osborne Foundation
- Preservation Society of Newport County receives prestigious award from Garden Club of America
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: May 14 – 16
- Beavertail Lighthouse, Watch Hill Lighthouse are being given away for free
- CDC: If you’re fully vaccinated, you do not need to wear a mask – indoors or outdoors, in most settings