Newport Police Department has announced that due to work on a gas main, a portion of Lower Thames Street will be closed to traffic on Tuesday, February 6, 2018.
National Grid Gas will be conducting maintenance during this time on the gas main on Thames Street in the area between Underwood Court and Lee Ave. They will be excavating in the middle of the roadway and traffic will be unable to pass necessitating a detour for southbound traffic on Thames Street, according to a news release from Newport Police Department.
Work will not begin until after the morning commute and work will then begin at 9am. Traffic will be detoured at Thames Street, eastbound up Dearborn Street, across Spring Street, eastbound on Perry Street, southbound on Bellevue Ave, westbound on Narragansett Ave to Thames Street.
Police Officers will be stationed at traffic post to facilitate the flow of traffic, according to the release.
More from What's Up Newp
- Newport Gallery Night returns on August 12
- Obituary: Belmira Silvia
- Obituary: Jayne Ellen Byam
- Obituary: Susan Christie
- Obituary: Eileen Burke
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 3 Recap and Photos (August 1)
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)