Marvel’s “Black Panther” movie, a film featuring an almost all-black cast, black director, about a black superhero, is “something black people have never seen before … in an age when black people are seeing wrongs done against them in ways that extend beyond film every day, a moment to see blackness as a strength,” said Noel Ransome of Vice Magazine.
There has been a nationwide fundraising challenge to raise money to bring thousands of young people to see the film. In Newport, Niko Merritt and the Sankofa Community Connection have embraced that effort and successfully raised enough funds to enable scores of Newport youth to see the film. Niko joined me on this edition of The Open Forum.
More From What’s Up Newp
- Newport Polo’s 20th annual charity gala will benefit Jeffrey Osborne Foundation
- Preservation Society of Newport County receives prestigious award from Garden Club of America
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: May 14 – 16
- Beavertail Lighthouse, Watch Hill Lighthouse are being given away for free
- CDC: If you’re fully vaccinated, you do not need to wear a mask – indoors or outdoors, in most settings