Edward McPherson, the new Executive Director of Island Moving Company, joined me on What’sUpNewp Radio Edition on AM 1540 WADK Newport today to chat about today’s Opening Weekend news, what’s ahead for the contemporary ballet company’s 36th season, and more.
Island Moving Company is a classically trained contemporary ballet company of professional dancers based in Newport, RI, which produces new dance works through a collaborative creative process. Under the leadership of Artistic Director Miki Ohlsen, the Company has, for over 30 years, produced and presented dances by a diverse group of choreographers, working with musicians, poets, and visual artists. The Company also works extensively in the schools, interacting with students K-12 in curriculum-based movement residencies throughout Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
After a nationwide search, Island Moving Company announced on January 6, 2018, that they have named McPherson, formerly a professional ballet dancer and an Education and Program Coordinator for Midland County Public Libraries in Midland, Texas to succeed outgoing executive director Dominique Alfandre. McPherson represents IMC’s second executive director.
For more information on Island Moving Company, visit www.islandmovingco.org.
More From What’s Up Newp
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: May 14 – 16
- Beavertail Lighthouse, Watch Hill Lighthouse are being given away for free
- CDC: If you’re fully vaccinated, you do not need to wear a mask – indoors or outdoors, in most settings
- Opinion: Our seniors have earned the comfort to know we value them
- Obituary: Scott James Sawyer