With the economic and societal costs of smoking totaling more than $300 billion a year and rising, the personal-finance website WalletHub today released its report on The Real Cost of Smoking by State.
To encourage the estimated 36.5 million tobacco users in the U.S. to kick the dangerous habit, WalletHub calculated the potential monetary losses — including the lifetime and annual costs of a cigarette pack per day, health care expenditures, income losses and other costs — brought on by smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke.
The Financial Cost of Smoking in Rhode Island (1=Lowest, 25=Avg.)
- Out-of-Pocket Cost per Smoker – $174,981 (Rank: 50th)
- Financial-Opportunity Cost per Smoker – $1,469,918 (Rank: 50th)
- Health-Care Cost per Smoker – $269,173 (Rank: 49th)
- Income Loss per Smoker – $238,219 (Rank: 32nd)
- Other Costs per Smoker – $15,154 (Rank: 45th)
- Total Cost Over Lifetime per Smoker: $2,167,445
- Total Cost per Year per Smoker: $42,499
Costs Over A Lifetime Across The Country
For the full report, visit:https://wallethub.com/edu/the-
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library
- Governor, RIDOH, Newport City officials, community partners to host canvassing effort on Wednesday to encourage vaccination