Middletown, RI – Islanders Committed, in collaboration with the Middletown Prevention Coalition (MPC) and Newport County YMCA, will host the 1st Annual THP Project Purple Week Middletown Volleyball Tournament on February 2 from 4 pm to 9 pm at the Newport County YMCA. The event celebrates The Herren Project’s Project Purple Week Initiative and celebrates youth that are making healthy decisions in dealing with life’s stressors.
Islanders Committed, the youth committee of the Middletown Prevention Coalition, help educate their peers on the benefits of living a healthy lifestyle. Additionally, these Middletown High School students work to create a healthy and safe Middletown.
The event will feature a middle school division from 4 pm to 6 pm for students in grades 6 to 8. The high school/adult division will be from 6 pm to 9 pm. Prizes will be awarded to the winning team of each division. Participants can make their own team or join an Islanders Committed team. The cost to register is $5 for students and $10 for adults. Participants and teams can register at the YMCA.
There will be food and drink on-site for attendees to purchase.
The proceeds help Islanders Committed attend youth leadership training conferences and sponsor fun, alternative activities for Middletown students.
About the Middletown Prevention Coalition:
The Middletown Prevention Coalition works to create a safe, healthy and drug free Middletown by mobilizing the community through action, education, support, and collaboration. The community-based coalition is comprised of individuals representing various public and private sectors of the Middletown community.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million
- Frank Prosnitz: My Jazz Festival’s Top Picks
- Gerry Goldstein: Word horseplay draws some pun-gent responses