On Sunday, January 28, 2018, Emmanuel Church, Newport, held its 166th Annual Meeting.
Over 60 parishioners heard reports of ministries and plans for new programs and community partnerships. The 2018 budget was reviewed.
The congregation elected Vestry members: Ellen Vadney as Senior Warden, Annie Sherman as Jr. Warden, Ron Fleming as Treasurer, Cynthia Larned as Assistant Treasurer and Sarah Atkins for a fifth one year term as secretary. New Vestry members Vicki Hicks, Ken Venancio and Micah Sybor join these officers and Vestry members at large: Courtney Crimi. Janet Park and Deb Venancio (for a second full Vestry at-large term position) Convention delegates and deanery representatives were elected: Li Hargrove and Ron Fleming with Steve MacAusland and Ellen Vadney serving as alternates to these positions.
The Rev’d Chris Cassels, of St Luke’s East Greenwich, and Emmanuel parishioners Sandy Chapman and Judy Rhee were elected to serve on the Audit Committee. The Rector thanked outgoing Vestry members Lil Hargrove and Doug Poskitt for their service.
After a finance report by the treasurer, Ron Fleming, the congregation learned that longtime member Jeanette Rideout, co-chair of the Altar Guild, was granted the annual “Saints Among us” recognition. Longtime parishioner Nancy Allan was awarded the Bertha Butts Award for Service to Emmanuel.
For more information on Emmanuel Church, visit www.emmanuelnewport.org/.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million
- Frank Prosnitz: My Jazz Festival’s Top Picks
- Gerry Goldstein: Word horseplay draws some pun-gent responses