The Coast Guard suspended its search Tuesday at 8 p.m. for two missing fishermen near Nantucket, pending the development of new information.
The fishermen originally went missing Monday evening after their boat, Misty Blue, sunk approximately 10 miles southeast of Nantucket. Two other crewmembers were rescued by a nearby good Samaritan.
The Coast Guard, along with state and local agencies and good Samaritans searched for 42 asset hours saturating a 1,605 square nautical mile area.
The search included the following assets:
-An MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Cape Cod
-An HC-144 Ocean Sentry aircraft from Air Station Cape Cod
-A 47-foot Motor Lifeboat from Coast Guard Station Brant Point
-Coast Guard Cutter Steelhead, an 87-foot patrol boat
-Coast Guard Cutter Tybee, a 110-foot patrol boat
-Coast Guard Cutter Albacore, an 87-foot patrol boat
-Barnstable County Sheriff
-Dennis Fire Department
-Massachusetts State Police Dive Team
-Fishing vessel Enterprise
-Fishing vessel Mariette
The cause of the sinking is under investigation.
The Latest From WUN
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network
- Stop & Shop to hold a one-day career fair at all 27 Rhode Island locations
- RI Music Educators call on state, school districts to fund music & arts education
- Wilbury Theatre Group launches Pay-What-You-Can ticket structure for all performances