Newport, RI – All year round, people bring outgrown and otherwise unused bikes to Bike Newport’s community bike project – where they receive a little TLC and find their way to new owners.
Bikes are restored and made road-ready by volunteers and by folks who earn the bikes through volunteering. Among the beach cruisers, road racers, and city bikes for grown-ups are dozens of bikes for tikes.
With an extra happy holiday push, Bike Newport volunteers cleaned and tightened up 30 sets of wheels over the last few weeks and delivered the bikes to the Pell School to join Santa’s other surprises at a community toy distribution on Saturday, December 9th. Bike bows and shiny chrome brought smiles to 30 little ones who also left with helmets and “Roll Model” lessons on safe cycling.
Bike donations and volunteers are welcome year-round at Bike Newport’s HQ at 62 Broadway.
For more information on Bike Newport, visit www.bikenewportri.org.
The Latest From WUN
- Obituary: Elizabeth Marion (Matter) Chambers
- Best-selling author Ann Hood hosts ‘The Writing Life’ public talk at Salve Regina on Oct. 30
- Brown University to significantly expand financial aid and college access
- What’s Up This Week: Hocus Pocus, Tour de Fright, Halloween festivities, and much more
- Bowzer’s Rock ‘N’ Doo-Wop Party 20th Anniversary coming to Mohegan Sun Jan. 16