Classic sounds dominate the musical landscape this week on “Six Picks” as we check out some of the best in area music. Tonight, Thursday November 9, brings a mountain of rock and roll to town.
First in East Greenwich, Badfinger Starring Joey Molland plays the Greenwich Odeum. The band will play a full run through of “Straight Up,” their 1972 masterpiece that included classics Baby Blue and “Day After Day.” We interviewed Molland, who shared stories of his history working with The Beatles last week. Tickets available here.
Lovett and Hiatt Thursday (Pictured Above)
Tonight is also a special night at The Vets in Providence where the multitalented Lyle Lovett and roots singer-songwriter John Hiatt will present “An Acoustic Evening…” Both artists have successful careers blending rock, country and other styles; we expect a great night of music. Details here.
Chris Robinson Brotherhood Thursday
One more rock show tonight to share – the Chris Robinson Brotherhood play the Columbus Theatre in Providence. Robinson, of course best known for his work with the Black Crowes, brings a jam band vibe to the Brotherhood, formed in 2011. Find out more about “An Evening With the Chris Robinson Brotherhood” here.
Two “Parlors” Saturday
Saturday night the place to be is … the Parlor/Parlour. To clarify … RI is home to two Parlors – one in Newport “The Café at Parlor” and one in Providence, (celebrating it’s 5th anniversary and spelled nearer to the Queen’s English), North Main Street’s The Parlour. Both have amazing shows with some of RI’s best local talent scheduled for Saturday night.
First in Newport, head to the Café at Parlor for a triple bill with Newport based rockers Silverteeth, supported by Wild Life and Lookers. Details here.
The Parlour Providence has four of PVD’s finest bands including Consuelo’s Revenge (see video below), The Low Cards, The Fates and Swampbirds. The latter will be releasing their debut CD, “no parenthesis” a fine collection of indie tunes behind the swamp-rich quiver of Jen Long. Think Neko Case meets Lucinda Williams meets Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star). Details here.
Arlo Guthrie Saturday
We previewed Saturday’s Arlo Guthrie show earlier this week and included a brief interview with the legendary folk singer here. It’s a “not to be missed” event happening Saturday night at Cranston’s Park Theatre. Tickets still available – details here.
Gene Simmons Sunday
Former Kiss superstar Gene Simmons plays The Vets in Providence Sunday night. Embarking on his first solo tour, Simmons and his band will bring some heat to town as he appears as part of Comic Con, going on all weekend in Providence. Tickets and further details are available here. Meanwhile, we couldn’t resist sharing the video below.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now