Governor Gina M. Raimondo, Treasurer Seth Magaziner and Education Commissioner Ken Wagner held a public forum on school facilities at Rogers High School on Monday, October 12th at 6 pm. It was the first of a series of public forums held around the state to provide the Governor and the Rhode Island School Building Task Force co-chaired by Treasurer Magaziner and Commissioner Wagner with feedback from parents, teachers, administrators and members of the community.
The R.I. Department of Education’s 2017 State of Rhode Island Schoolhouses report forecasts $627.5 million in high-priority construction and repairs needed to keep students and teachers warm, safe and dry in their classrooms. The statewide cost to bring all school buildings into ideal condition is estimated at $2.2 billion.
Video via R.I. General Treasurer Seth Magaziner
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13