Miki Ohlsen, Artistic Director of Island Moving Company (IMC), has chosen former IMC dancer Danielle Genest to fill the role of Associate Artistic Director starting immediately.
A Jamestown native, Genest began her dancing career at the age of three at the Newport Academy of Ballet and went on to dance with the Hartford Ballet, Janusphere Dance Company and the New York Theatre Ballet and others, including Island Moving Company. She was recently awarded the Rhode Island State Council on the Arts Fellowship Merit Award in Choreography. Her dances are in the repertoires of all these companies in addition to the Tallahassee Ballet and Festival Ballet Providence. She has been associate director of Janusphere and of Part of the Oath in Providence and has been choreographing, teaching class and assisting with rehearsals as Ballet Mistress with IMC for several years. “Having trained with Miki Ohlsen and grown up dancing with IMC, I learned at a very young age what it means to be in an environment of creativity, collaboration, artistry, and passion. The culture of IMC shaped the dancer and the person I have become, and I am so thrilled to now be part of the artistic staff,” Genest said.
As Associate Artistic Director, Genest will teach and coach the dancers of the Island Moving Company, overseeing rehearsals and assisting Miki Ohlsen with casting and other artistic decisions. She will continue to choreograph new work for IMC. Her first production as Associate will be the Company’s popular Newport Nutcracker at Rosecliff. Tickets to the production are still available at www.islandmovingco.org.
More From What’s Up Newp
- United Way and Women United partner with the community for annual children’s book drive throughout May
- Passim School of Music to honor Bob Dylan ahead of his 80th birthday
- BJ’s Wholesale Club will host a hiring day on May 15, looking to fill 80 open positions across Rhode Island
- Charlestown Seafood Festival returns August 6 – 8
- Barrington home built by golfer Brad Faxon sells for more than $4.5 million