An expert consultant for Salve Regina’s faculty and community partners learning communities will present “Hip Hop, Campus-Community Collaboration and the Old White Guy Professor” at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 18 in Bazarsky Lecture Hall, located in O’Hare Academic Center.
Free and open to the public, the presentation will be given by Randy Stoecker, professor of community and environmental sociology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Stoecker presents a social change model of campus-community collaboration that is thought-provoking and rooted in his own personal transformation over many years of working in the field of community engagement as a faculty collaborator and community organizer.
His most recent book, “Liberating Service Learning and the Rest of Higher Education Civic Engagement,” questions the prioritization and theoretical/philosophical underpinnings of the core concepts of service learning: learning, service, community and change. By “liberating” service learning, he suggests reversing the prioritization of the concepts, starting with change, then community, then service and then learning. In doing so, he clarifies the benefits and purpose of this work, arguing that it will create greater pedagogical and community impact.
His presentation is made possible by a grant funded by the Davis Education Foundation, established by Stanton and Elisabeth Davis after Mr. Davis’ retirement as chairman of Shaw’s Supermarkets.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million