The Newport Art Museum will present the first large-scale exhibition of contemporary art from its permanent collection in “be of love and other stories: Contemporary Highlights from the Permanent Collection,” on view September 9, 2017 – January 7, 2018. “be of love” showcases paintings, prints, drawings, photographs, and sculptures by international, national, and regional artists.
The featured artists include: Donna Bruton, Jesse Burke, Dale Chihuly, Bob Dilworth, Mark di Suvero, Philip Guston, Corita Kent, Sol LeWitt, Roy Lichtenstein, Joel Meyerowitz, Arno Rafael Minkkinen, Philip Pearlstein, Ad Reinhardt, Aaron Siskind, Meredith Stern, May Stevens, Andy Warhol, and many others.
Organized as a thematic show that tells stories about the collection, this exhibition touches on some of the major trends and movements in contemporary art including Pop Art and Minimalism and their legacies, art and social protest, feminism, geometric abstraction, explorations of landscape in various media, and depictions of the figure. Taking its title from both a print by Pop artist Corita Kent in the Museum’s collection, and the famous e.e. cummings’ poem, “be of love” illustrates the integrated nature of the visual arts and takes a contextual approach to the collection.
An Opening Reception will be held on Friday, September 29 from 5-7 pm. Members free, non-members $10 suggested donation, cash bar. The Newport Art Museum is located at 76 Bellevue Avenue, Newport, RI.
Visit www.newportartmuseum.org or call 401-848-8200 for details.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Folk 2021 – The final day of “Folk On” (July 28)
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library