The Newport Art Museum will present the first large-scale exhibition of contemporary art from its permanent collection in “be of love and other stories: Contemporary Highlights from the Permanent Collection,” on view September 9, 2017 – January 7, 2018. “be of love” showcases paintings, prints, drawings, photographs, and sculptures by international, national, and regional artists.
The featured artists include: Donna Bruton, Jesse Burke, Dale Chihuly, Bob Dilworth, Mark di Suvero, Philip Guston, Corita Kent, Sol LeWitt, Roy Lichtenstein, Joel Meyerowitz, Arno Rafael Minkkinen, Philip Pearlstein, Ad Reinhardt, Aaron Siskind, Meredith Stern, May Stevens, Andy Warhol, and many others.
Organized as a thematic show that tells stories about the collection, this exhibition touches on some of the major trends and movements in contemporary art including Pop Art and Minimalism and their legacies, art and social protest, feminism, geometric abstraction, explorations of landscape in various media, and depictions of the figure. Taking its title from both a print by Pop artist Corita Kent in the Museum’s collection, and the famous e.e. cummings’ poem, “be of love” illustrates the integrated nature of the visual arts and takes a contextual approach to the collection.
An Opening Reception will be held on Friday, September 29 from 5-7 pm. Members free, non-members $10 suggested donation, cash bar. The Newport Art Museum is located at 76 Bellevue Avenue, Newport, RI.
Visit www.newportartmuseum.org or call 401-848-8200 for details.
The Latest From WUN
- City of Newport: A portion of the Cliff Walk will be closed on Monday for maintenance
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend