Raymond Patrick Segerson (Buddy), 89, of Middletown, RI, passed away, Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at Newport Hospital, Newport RI surrounded by his loved ones.
Buddy was born in Newport to the late John and Mary Segerson on October 19, 1927. He grew up in Newport and graduated from De La Salle high school 1945. He briefly served in the Army during World War II and continued his service for 20 years in the National Guard. He worked at Quonset Point Naval Air Station repairing aircraft, and later for the U. S. Postal Service until he retired. In retirement he continued to work at both Almac’s and Stop and Shop where he befriended many.
Buddy greeted everyone with a smile and had an amazing ability to strike up a conversation about anything with anyone. He loved people, sports, reading, his pets, and anything related to Ireland. An avid hunter and sport fisher, in his early years, Buddy loved being along the shore and working the fields with his dogs. More than anything else, he loved Beverly, his beautiful bride of 59 years and his family.
He was warm, friendly, funny, selfless, and at times as stubborn as his Irish Setters, he would do anything he could to help others. He was a member of the Knights of Columbus, a little league coach, and was loved by all who knew him. He had an amazing mind filled with 80+ years of reading everything he could get his hands on, when books were not available road signs, ketchup bottles, cereal boxes, tags, or anything close by would do. His light will never fade. He leaves his wife Beverly Ann Segerson, sister Mary Segerson, sons Tim (Mary Mowery) and John (Terri Ashley), daughters Pauline (Jerry Hartley), Maureen (Daniel Lewis) and Beverly. Buddy also leaves his five grandchildren, Christopher, Katie, and Kevin Segerson, Brian Hartley, and Kailee Mesler. He was preceded in death by his brothers John, Joseph, Robert, and Arthur.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Lifespan Cancer Institute of Newport Hospital or The Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation.
Friends and loved ones are cordially invited to join his family in a celebration of his life Saturday August 5, 2017 at 1:00PM at Portofino’s Bar& Lounge at the Ramada Inn 425 East Main Road in Middletown, RI.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)