Raymond Patrick Segerson (Buddy), 89, of Middletown, RI, passed away, Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at Newport Hospital, Newport RI surrounded by his loved ones.
Buddy was born in Newport to the late John and Mary Segerson on October 19, 1927. He grew up in Newport and graduated from De La Salle high school 1945. He briefly served in the Army during World War II and continued his service for 20 years in the National Guard. He worked at Quonset Point Naval Air Station repairing aircraft, and later for the U. S. Postal Service until he retired. In retirement he continued to work at both Almac’s and Stop and Shop where he befriended many.
Buddy greeted everyone with a smile and had an amazing ability to strike up a conversation about anything with anyone. He loved people, sports, reading, his pets, and anything related to Ireland. An avid hunter and sport fisher, in his early years, Buddy loved being along the shore and working the fields with his dogs. More than anything else, he loved Beverly, his beautiful bride of 59 years and his family.
He was warm, friendly, funny, selfless, and at times as stubborn as his Irish Setters, he would do anything he could to help others. He was a member of the Knights of Columbus, a little league coach, and was loved by all who knew him. He had an amazing mind filled with 80+ years of reading everything he could get his hands on, when books were not available road signs, ketchup bottles, cereal boxes, tags, or anything close by would do. His light will never fade. He leaves his wife Beverly Ann Segerson, sister Mary Segerson, sons Tim (Mary Mowery) and John (Terri Ashley), daughters Pauline (Jerry Hartley), Maureen (Daniel Lewis) and Beverly. Buddy also leaves his five grandchildren, Christopher, Katie, and Kevin Segerson, Brian Hartley, and Kailee Mesler. He was preceded in death by his brothers John, Joseph, Robert, and Arthur.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Lifespan Cancer Institute of Newport Hospital or The Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation.
Friends and loved ones are cordially invited to join his family in a celebration of his life Saturday August 5, 2017 at 1:00PM at Portofino’s Bar& Lounge at the Ramada Inn 425 East Main Road in Middletown, RI.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Newport Illuminated Boat Parade canceled due to weather
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Neutral Nation, Deer Tick and the All-Star Stars
- MLK Center to host free community holiday dinner on December 1
- Newport, Tiverton groups sharing $660,000 in grants to strengthen nonprofits led by people of color
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Schemers ring in the holiday season at The Met
- Blackstone River Theatre Holiday Craft Fair and Festival returns with 24 crafters and live music
- Just My Opinion: What are you thankful for in 2021?
- Newport Jazz Festival releases 2021 Thank You Video
- RITBA: For the first time since the pandemic began, traffic returning to 2019 levels on Pell Bridge
- Singing For Shelter returns December 1 – 22, nightly virtual live concerts will raise money for local shelters