Before Tuesday night’s game versus the Cleveland Indians at Fenway Park, the Boston Red Sox celebrated Rhode Island during the team’s pre-game ceremonies.
Special guests included Gully and Gully Jr. from the Newport Gulls and Paws from the Pawtucket Red Sox.
During the pre-game ceremonies, the Rhode Island Red Sox Scholars & Impact Award and Rhode Island Little League Volunteer Of The Year Award were handed out. Cole Middle School Baseball Team and Napoleon Lajoie, a Woonsocket native and Hall Of Famer, was also recognized during the ceremony.
Newport Police Department was the Color Guard for the game, while the Chorus of Westerly sang the National Anthem.
Logan Cournoyer of Tiverton was the honorary bat kid for the game, while Steve Guarino of Lincoln was named the Season Ticketholder of The Game.
St. Mary’s Home For Children in North Providence has the honor of saying “Play Ball”.
In an exciting walk-off win where the Red Sox beat Cleaveland 12 – 10, the Red Sox earned their 2nd straight win to regain sole possession of 1st place in the AL East.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)