The RI Marine Task Force was activated around 6 pm on Wednesday night for a report of two marine vessels that had crashed in the area of the Newport Bridge. One of the vessels was reportedly taking on water.
Two J20’s reportedly collided while racing near the Bridge. One of the boats suffered a puncture in the hull just above the water line. The other boat continued racing. It is unclear at this time who is at fault for the collision.
It was at first believed the damaged boat was missing, Coast Guard Castle Hill quickly located the vessel and quickly called off other marine first responders.
There were no reported injuries.
We’re working on gathering further details at this time. Stay tuned for updates.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts