It’s a classic rock week on “Six Picks,” with some great music coming to town. We’ll mix in some singer-songwriters, both local and national, and round it out with a new folk festival in Providence. Check out our picks for some of the best in area music this weekend.
Newport to Nashville Tonight
A new series “Newport to Nashville” begins tonight with some top local and touring singer-songwriters at the Newport Playhouse and Cabaret Restaurant. The series promises “true Nashville Style” performances and begins with Mary Ann Rossoni and Meldrick Belaire, Chris Monhollen, and Nelly and Jeff. There’s a $10 food or drink minimum, but no charge for the show. Further details here.
Block-A-Palooza Tonight – Update – Moved indoors to Narrows Center due to forecast
The Narrows Center for the Arts is sponsoring the annual Block-a-Palooza party tonight outside the District Courthouse in Fall River. Headlining are one of the best outdoor bands ever, NRBQ. With their blend of rock, pop, jazz, blues and Tin Pan Alley styles, not to mention 50 years of touring under their belt, these guys really know how to throw a party. Even better, Boston roots rockers, and WhatsUpRI favorite, Girls, Guns & Glory open the show. Music at 6PM – details here.
Boz Scaggs Friday
Boz Scaggs is a 70’s survivor. His classic 1976 album Silk Degrees featuring hits Lowdown, Georgia, and Lido Shuffle made him a household name. He plays Twin River tonight – you might just hear a few from his latest album “A Fool to Care,” an album that highlights the music of the American South. Only a few tickets remain – click here for details.
Fox Point Folk Festival Saturday
One of PVD’s coolest neighborhoods is holding their first ever Folk Festival Saturday afternoon. The inaugural Fox Point Folk Festival begins at 2PM with music from Al Diaz, The Vox Hunters, Kate Mick and more. All kinds of family friendly activities take over Wickenden St and the George M. Cohan square. Check out their Kickstarter campaign for further details here.
Rod Stewart and Cyndi Lauper Saturday
Rock veterans Rod Stewart and Cyndi Lauper bring their respective shows to the Infinity Center Saturday night. Stewart is still rocking hard after 50 years in show biz, and Lauper remains a great singer and unique talent. Tickets are still available here.
Eddie Money Saturday
80’s legend Eddie Money is playing the Indian Ranch Amphitheatre in Webster, MA Saturday afternoon. The rocker is known for hits “Take Me Home Tonight” and “Two Tickets to Paradise” will shake things up for certain. Thirty 6 Red opens at 12:30 – details here.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13