Lillian Margaret (Barlow) Wernquest 94, formerly of Congdon Avenue, Newport RI passed away peacefully on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at St. Clare Nursing Home.
Lillian was born in Newport, RI to Willard and Mary (Hannon) Barlow on November 6, 1922. She attended Rogers High School and graduated in 1940. She attended RI College of Education and earned a degree in Elementary Education in 1944. She worked as a 2nd/3rd grade teacher at Carey School from 1944-1953. Lillian was a New England Patriots fan and an avid reader and former member of the Redwood Library & enjoyed taking long walks around Newport and dining out with family. Lillian was a member of the Jesus Savior Rosary Sodality.
Lillian is survived by her 2 sons, Charles Anthony and his wife Johanne of Niantic, CT, William Thomas and his wife Carol of Middletown, RI and her daughter, Ruth Ann of Newport RI, and (4) grandchildren, Catherine, Alexander, Rachel and Tess. She is predeceased by her beloved husband Charles Oscar and her sister Marcella Barlow and brothers Charles and Willard.
Visiting hours will be held on Monday, June 26th, 2017 from 4:00-7:00 pm at the O’Neill-Hayes Funeral Home 465 Spring Street, Newport, RI. A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at Jesus Savior Church, 509 Broadway, Newport on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 9:00 am. Burial will follow at St. Columba Cemetery, 465 Brown’s Lane in Middletown RI.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to St. Clare-Newport, Activities Fund, 309 Spring Street, Newport, RI 02840 and to Visiting Nurse Services of Newport & Bristol Counties, Hospice Services, 1184 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI 02871.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck