The City of Newport has announced details for the 2017 Summer Meals Program, an initiative that has the goal of filling the upcoming summer with healthy and nutritious food for Newport youth.
During the school year, more than 76,000 of Rhode Island students receive meals through the National School Breakfast and Lunch Programs; and when schools let out, many children lose access to these healthy meals, the City says. The City says that many don’t know that the Summer Meals Program is an extension of the School Lunch Program designed to close the gap of food access when the school is out, and that it is available in many communities throughout our region, including in Newport, as a free resource for the City’s youth.
At least 64% of children in Newport receive free or reduce priced meals during the school year. In the fall of 2015, the City of Newport received a grant through the National League of Cities to increase participation of the Summer Meals Program in our community, and the City says they are working hard to make this a reality and provide food access to all children and youth 18 and under in our community.
There is no income, residency, or any other eligibility criteria, or any forms for children or their parents to fill out in order to get summer meals. In fact, all children in our community are welcome to get a free meal every weekday during the summer.
Meals will be provided to all children, (18 years old or younger) at no charge and without discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.
Meals will be provided at the sites and times as follows:
York Street July 5 – August 18, 2017 7:45-8:15 Breakfast
King Park July 5 – August 18, 2017 11:00-12:00 Lunch
Vernon Park July 3 – August 25, 2017 11:00-12:00 Lunch
Aquidneck Park July 3 – August 25, 2017 11:30-12:30 Lunch
Chapel Terrace July 5 –September 1, 2017 12:15-1:15 Lunch
Miantonomi Memorial Park July 3 –September 1, 2017 11:30-12:30 Lunch
Festival Field Apartments July 5 –September 1, 2017 11:45-12:45 Lunch
Coggeshall School Playground July 5 –August 18, 2017 12:00-1:00 Lunch
Storer Park July 5 –August 18, 2017 12:15-1:15 Lunch
Bayside Village July 5 –September 1, 2017 12:45-1:45 Lunch
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13