Our site doesn’t have a paywall and all of our content and newsletters are always free to read.
Instead, reader support and advertising from local businesses power our locally owned, independent newsroom. If you like what we do, a contribution of $8/month means more than you’d think, and any amount helps.
Summer in Newport and live music, they go together like clam cakes and chowder.
There’s no short supply of free live music and movies on any given night in Newport. Here’s a look at all that can be enjoyed outdoors this summer for free or for a small donation.
Schedules subject to change. This story was originally published on June 24th, it was updated on June 30th to update Sweetberry Farm’s Schedule and Music On The Porch updates.
Family Night Concert Series at Easton’s Beach: Tuesdays in June, July and August
All shows begin at 6:00 pm and last for approximately 90 minutes. In the event of rain, shows will be rescheduled – call 401-845-5810 after 4 pm. Free.
- July 11th – Fast Times (80’s Dance Band)
- July 18th – Brass Attack (10 Piece Band performing 30-s to today)
- July 25th – Sh Bop (Oldies)
- August 1st – The Larry Brown Band Swinglane Orchestra
- August 8th – Downcity Band (8 piece band performing oldies and today)
- August 15th – Dick Lupino Band (Variety of jazz, oldies and motown)
Summer Concert Series at Sweetberry Farm: Tuesdays in July and August
Head to Sweetberry Farm on Tuesday evenings in July and August for free live music. A limited number of dinner tickets available for purchase. For ticket reservations, call (401) 847-3912. Picnic tables available to dinner ticket holders, first come first serve. All are welcome to purchase food and refreshments from the Farm Café.
July 11th | 6-8pm Cee Cee & The Riders – High Energy Blues & Old Time Rock & Roll
“Southern Hospitality” Roasted Corn & Pickle Dip with Chips; BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich; Carolina Slaw; The Most Awesome Taters; Mini Pecan Pie
July 18th | 6-8pm The New 40 – Rhythm & Blues; Soul Groove Music
“General Dines with His Troops” Hot & Sour Soup; General Tso’s Chicken Breast; Stir Fry Lo Mein & Vegetables; Tropical Rice Pudding
July 25th | 6-8pm Nicole & Blake – 80’s Mix; 2000 Cover Music
“Tijuana Boat Ride” Gazpacho; Cilantro Lime Fish Taco; Acapulco Gold Brown Rice; Sweet Onion & Carrot Aztec Slaw; Mexicali Chocolate Mousse
August 1st| 6-8pm Elderly Brothers – Music from the 50’s & 60’s
“Beware The Spanish Armada” Roasted Red Caesar Salad; Saffron Poached Salmon; Valencia Farro Salad; Cucumbers with Sherry Vinegar; Flan
August 8th | 5:30-7:30pm (TIME CHANGE) 6-Diggit – Music form the Last 5 Decades
“Sunday Dinner on Olympus” Spinach Salad; Lemon Feta Chicken Breast; Roasted Zucchini Oregano; Olive & Sun Dried Tomato Cous Cous; Baklava
August 15th | 5:30-7:30pm Jessie Liam Band – Top Hits from the 50’s to current
“Uncle Tony as ‘The Big Meatball’ Starring” The Tomato Mozz Brothers Salad; “The Big Meat Ball” hisself with Pinky Vodka Tortellini; Carlo Garlic Bread; Johnny Toasted Almond Torte.
August 22nd| 5:30-7:30pm Villanares – Music from the 50’s to 80’s
“Simple Simon; The Pieman” Field Greens Salad with Bacon Bleu Tomato Dressing; Cottage Pie; Olde Thyme Glazed Baby Carrots; Mocha Tapioca Pudding
August 29th | 5:30-7:30pm Lois Vaughan Jazz
“Cousin Vinny’s Wedding” Wedding Soup; Dark Meat Chicken Marsala; Roasted Brown Rice; Carrots & Leeks Toscana; Tiramisu
All Dinners are $19.95 (plus tax). Admission to all concerts is free. Specialty dinners prepared by Chef Scott Amaral are available along with many other food items from our café. Picnic tables are reserved for meal ticket holders only and on a first come basis. Meal tickets can be reserved by calling ahead. (401-847-3912) Bring your lawn chairs or blankets. Concert goers must park in designated parking lot only. Please do not park in front of farm market. Please enter from the 19 Third Beach Road entrance
Fireside Evening Music Series at Newport Vineyards: Wednesdays in June, July & August
Head to Newport Vineyards for an extended evening wine tasting each Wednesday from 5 pm – 8 pm through the summer! Overlooking their firepits, enjoy live music while you sip and savor. Enjoy wine tastings, wine by the glass, beer and sangria, as well as light nosh from their kitchens. No ticket needed, just go by and enjoy the vineyard in the evening by their fire pits, glass in hand. Then head upstairs to Brix for Flight Night including $10 wine -OR- beer flights.
- July 5th – Wind in Sails
- July 12th – Briana White *(starts at 6pm)
- July 19 – Malerie Day
- July 26 – Andi Flax
- August 2 – Wind in Sails
- August 9 – Briana White *(starts at 6pm)
- August 16 – Malerie Day
- August 23 – Andi Flax
- August 30 – Silverteeth
Ballard Park Music Month: Wednesdays in July
For the eighth year, Jenkins Construction Company of Middletown is the presenting sponsor of Music Month at Ballard Park. The series includes four free concerts by a diverse group of bands including Folsom, the Larry Brown Swinglane Orchestra, the Toe Jam Puppet Band and The Ravers.
- July 12th – The series opens on Wednesday, July 12th with a free concert by Folsom from 7 to 8:30 pm in the quarry meadow. Folsom is an Aquidneck Island-based Johnny Cash tribute band featuring Nick Krol on lead guitar, Robb Molleur on drums, Jason Conant on bass guitar and Luis Mateos II on vocals and rhythm guitar. Their up temp songs and contagious enthusiasm are sure to get people up and dancing.
- July 19th – The Larry Brown Swinglane Orchestra returns for its second performance at Ballard Park on Wednesday, July 19th. The popular seventeen piece Swinglane Orchestra is a group of professional musicians who play jazz, swing and big band music that is wonderful to dance to and easy on the ears under the direction of band leader Don Chilton.
- July 26th – Jenkins Construction’s Music Month series features a double header on Wednesday, July 26th with a 10 am concert by the Toe Jam Puppet Band and The Ravers taking the stage from 7 to 8:30 pm. Celebrating their eleventh appearance at Ballard Park, the Toe Jam Puppet Band encourages kids and parents to sing and dance along with the band as they entertain with a unique combination of original songs, shadow puppetry and storytelling. The Ravers have been rocking twenty-nine years and are making their first appearance at Ballard Park. The family-friendly reggae show from 7 to 8:30 pm features singer Carey Bowman, Adam Aleicho on guitar, Ray Gennari on bass, Doug Ernest on drums, Mike Dansereau on keys, Dan Moretti on saxophone and Doug Woolverton on trumpet.
All of the Jenkins Construction Music Month concerts will be held in Ballard Park’s quarry meadow. Enter at 21 Hazard Road. Seating for all concerts is on the grass so event goers are advised to bring a blanket or lawn chair on which to sit. There is rugged terrain so sturdy shoes are also recommended. Picnic dinners are welcome and event goers are advised to follow a ‘pack it in, pack it out’ policy. Parking is available on Hazard Road. Allow fifteen minutes to park and make your way into the quarry meadow.
Movies on The Rocks at Ballard Park: Wednesdays in August
- August 2nd at dusk (8:15 to 8:30 pm) – Finding Dory, plus a short provided by FLICKERS Rhode Island International Film Festival. Seating is on the grass- bring a blanket or lawn chair and arrive 15 minutes prior to the screening to ensure a place to park and time to make your way down to the quarry meadow. Use Hazard Road entrance. Rain date is August 3rd.
- August 9th at dusk (8:15 to 8:30 pm) – Beetlejuice, plus a short provided by FLICKERS Rhode Island International Film Festival. Seating is on the grass- bring a blanket or lawn chair and arrive 15 minutes prior to the screening to ensure a place to park and time to make your way down to the quarry meadow. Use Hazard Road entrance. Rain date is August 10th.
- August 16th at dusk (8 – 8:15 pm) – The Birds, plus a short provided by FLICKERS Rhode Island International Film Festival. Seating is on the grass- bring a blanket or lawn chair and arrive 15 minutes prior to the screening to ensure a place to park and time to make your way down to the quarry meadow. Use Hazard Road entrance.Rain date is August 17th.
- August 23rd at dusk 8 – 8:15 pm) – Star Wars Rogue One, plus a short provided by FLICKERS Rhode Island International Film Festival. Seating is on the grass- bring a blanket or lawn chair and arrive 15 minutes prior to the screening to ensure a place to park and time to make your way down to the quarry meadow. Use Hazard Road entrance. Rain date is August 24th.
Children’s Night Performances at Easton’s Beach: Thursdays in July and August
All shows begin at 6 pm and last approximately 45 minutes. In the event of rain, shows are held in the Rotunda Ballroom.
- July 6th – T-Bone (singer)
- July 13th – Mark Binder (storyteller)
- July 20th: Toe Jam Puppet Band (Vaudeville)
- July 27th: Scott Jameson (magician)
- August 3rd: UNH Little Red Wagon Tour (play)
- August 10th: Johnny The K (singer)
newportFILM Outdoor Movie Series: Thursdays in June, July and August
Experience award-winning documentaries, live music, interviews with filmmakers and film subjects, great food, and loads of community spirit amongst Aquidneck Island’s beautiful outdoor spaces, every Thursday night, all summer long…for free!
- July 6th at 8:35 pm – Chasing Coral at St. George’s School Lawn
- July 13th at 8:35 pm – Coyote: The Mike Plant Story at King Park
- July 20th at 8:30 pm – Take Every Wave: The Life of Laird Hamilton at Newport Beach House
- July 27th at 8:20 pm – Clive Davis: Soundtrack of Our Lives at The Elms
- August 3rd at 8:15 pm – May It Last: A Portrait of The Avett Brothers at St. Michaels Country Day School Lawn
- August 10th at 8:05 pm – Bending The Arc at Ochre Court Lawn
- August 17th at 7:55 pm – Restless Creature: Wendy Whelan at Rosecliff Lawn
- August 24th at 7:45 pm – Dealt at Newport International Polo Grounds
- August 31st at 7:35 pm – Houze of Z at OceanCliff Lawn
Weekend Music Series at Newport Vineyards: Saturdays & Sundays in June, July, August & September
Savor the season, glass in hand, enjoying live music overlooking the vines from 1 pm to 4 pm every Saturday and Sunday.
- July 1 – Orange Whip
- July 2 – The Z-Boys
- July 8 – Leslie Grimes & Matt Bruneau
- July 9 – Mike Baez
- July 15 – Silverteeth
- July 16 – Tom Burgess
- July 22 – Colby & Keila
- July 23 – Brian Scott
- July 29 – Briana White
- July 30 – Grayson Ty
- August 5 – Yacht Club Rejects
- August 6 – Leslie Grimes & Matt Bruneau
- August 12 – Orange Whip
- August 13 – Mike Baez
- August 19 – Silverteeth
- August 20 – Tom Burgess
- August 26 – Briana White
- August 27 – Brian Scott
- September 2 – Yacht Club Rejects
- September 3 – John & Joanne Monllos
- September 9 – Leslie Grimes & Matt Bruneau
- September 10 – Mike Baez
- September 16 – Silverteeth
- September 17 – Tom Burgess
- September 23 – Kevin Greene
- September 24 – Brian Scott
Summer Concert Series at Shops at Long Wharf: Saturdays in June, July, August, September & October
Enjoy free concerts throughout the summer from 1 pm to 5 pm down at the Shops at Long Wharf.
- July 1st – The New 40
- July 2nd – Ryan Charles
- July 8th – Playboys
- July 15th – Taiko Drummers
- July 22nd – John Erikson
- July 29th – ZanRicky
- August 5th – Rori & Ric
- August 12th – Half Step Down
- August 19th – Colby and Kaila
- August 26th – ZanRicky
- September 2nd – Playboys
- September 9th – The New 40
- September 16th – Becky Chase Band
- September 23rd – In Tandem
- September 30th – ZanRicky
- October 7th – Shelley, Bill & Dyl
NIMFEST at King Park: Sundays in June, July & August
The series is presented by the City Of Newport with a gift from Mrs. Dorrance H. Hamilton. All concerts are scheduled on Sundays from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m., there are no rain dates. Bring a chair or enjoy the lawn seating at the park, shows are free and open to the public of all ages! Free.
- July 2nd – Los Duderinos, Lisa Martin Trio
- July 9th – Silverteeth, Randy Robbins Trio, Allysen Callery
- July 16th – Ladies of Blues & Soul, Diane Blue & Ilana Katz Katz
- July 23rd – Barkode, La MEchante & Le Connard
- July 20th – The Gnomes, Thea Hopkins Duo, Joyce Katzberg
- August 6th – Alan Berstein All Star Jazz Ensemble, Yvonne Monnett & Genevieve Rose
- August 13th – Down City Band
- August 20th – John and Joanne, Debra Mann Trio
- August 27th – Chelley, Bill & Dyl, Ric & Rory, Anita Mansfield
Summer Concert Series at Brick Market Place: Sundays in June, July & August
Enjoy free concerts at Brick Market Place every Sunday from 1 pm to 5 pm.
Schedule coming soon!
Music On The Porch: Wednesdays and Thursday in June, July & August
The Fort Adams Trust will host a free summer concert series at the Eisenhower House in Fort Adams State Park themed and titled, “Music on the Porch.” The concerts will be open to the public to attend from 5-7 PM each night. Parking is free and refreshments are available from Newport Storm Breweries as well as, special cuisine from Blackstone Caterers’ A Fork in the Road food truck. The concerts are for all ages and attendees are encouraged to bring blankets to sit on the lawn while they enjoy the music and views of Narragansett Bay.
- July 12th – The Kane Brothers
- August 17th – The Elderly Brothers
Busking at Bowen’s Wharf during Newport BridgeFest – July 31st – August 3rd
From 6-9pm nightly, during Newport Bridgefest you can get your groove on down at the waterfront on Bowen’s Wharf. FREE, fun, family-friendly.
Schedule to be announced!