With 681,750 bright yellow daffodils popping up throughout Newport, Daffodillion has announced its complete schedule for the 4th Annual Newport Daffodil Days Festival, April 15-23 – one that is bigger and daffier than ever.
“Daffodillion, Newport’s civic beautification campaign, is getting ever closer to its million daffodil goal thanks to all those who have planted bulbs during the past years,” said Project Director John Hirschboeck. “Their hard work in the fall yields a bounty of beauty each April. The Festival is our celebration of spring, enticing winter weary tourists and local residents to emerge from hibernation and have a daffy good time.
The Festival is “off and running” on Saturday morning, April 15 with The Newport Rhode Races marathon, half marathon and 5K through daffodil-lined streets. That afternoon, the cutting of the daffodil ribbon and the firing of muskets officially open the Festival at Bannisters and Bowen’s wharves in downtown Newport. From there, a Daffy Dressed Doggie parade marches over to Queen Anne Square to continue the yappy, daffy time.
Other Festival highlights scheduled for the next eight days (all free) include:
- An Easter Sunday Tour de Jonquilles Bike Ride
- Dabbling & Doodling the Daffys on Newport’s famed Cliff Walk
- A special newportFILM Earth Day garden party and film screening
- The first annual Sidewalk Parade of Hope and BBQ with costumes, music and dance
- The Driving Miss Daffodil Car Rally & Classic Car Display
The complete schedule of activities can be found at NewportDaffyDays.com