On January 29th, the Newport String Project presented perennial favorite Mendelssohn’s Octet for Strings in the vibrant setting of Ochre Court at Salve Regina University. The concert brought together a dynamic group of musicians working at the leading edge of socially engaged chamber music in Rhode Island and beyond. The program also featured Antonin Dvorak’s folk-tinged Miniatures for Two Violins and Viola and Elizabeth Maconchy’s atmospheric String Quartet No 3.
The concert was presented in partnership with Salve Regina University and all proceeds supported the performance and educational programming of the Newport String Project.
All photos by Morgan Macia of Macia Photography and What’sUpNewp.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million