There’s still a few days left in 2016 but we’re already looking ahead to 2017 and marking our calendars down with the biggest events that we have to make sure we get to.
Here are the biggest, best, most-popular, top or whatever you want to call it events not to miss in 2017.
Start marking those calendars.
1. 29th Annual Newport Winter Festival – February 17 – 26, 2017: Featuring over 150 events, the Festival offers a unique winter experience combining food, festivities, music, and fun for all ages. More info at http://www.newportwinterfestival.com/.
2. 21st Annual WINEterfestival – February 18 – 19, 2017: Celebrate the season at Newport Vineyards’ 21st Annual WINEterfest Weekend. Two days full of grape stomping, ice wine bar tasting goodness. Enjoy live music from Little Compton Band on Saturday and The Pourmen on Sunday, while sipping at their infamous Ice Wine Bar. More info at http://www.newportvineyards.com/calendar-of-events.
3. 61st Annual Newport Saint Patrick’s Day Parade – March 11, 2017: The parade begins at 11 a.m. at City Hall, runs through Washington Square, down Thames Street, and ends at St. Augustine’s Church. More info at http://newportirish.com/.
4. Spring & Fall Newport Restaurant Week – March 27 – April 7, 2017 and November 3 – 12, 2017: Newport Restaurant Week takes place both in the spring and in the fall with more than 50 participating restaurants offering extraordinary three-course prix fixe lunches for $16 and three-course prix fixe dinners for $35. More info at http://www.discovernewport.org/newport-restaurant-week/.
5. 4th Annual Newport Daffodil Days Festival – April 15 – 24, 2017: Newport’s Daffodil Days Festival is an all-volunteer event in support of Daffodillion. A non-profit organization, Daffodillion’s goal is to beautify the city with 1 million daffodils. More info at http://daffodillion.com/daffydays/.
6. Annual Island National Police Parade – May 7, 2017: The parade features over 4,000 law enforcement participants to commemorate National Police Week. Parade starts on West Main Road going towards Newport. More info at http://www.policeparade.org/.
7. Bowen’s Wharf Oyster Festival – May 19 – 21, 2017: Bowen’s Wharf will host the 2nd annual Newport Oyster Festival on May 19-21 to promote Rhode Island-grown oysters. This will be your big chance to slurp oysters from all over Rhode Island, meet the growers, the shuckers and generally be a part of a feel-good festival where you’ll actually be helping our aquaculture and local environment! More info at http://www.bowenswharf.com/events.
8. 36th Annual Great Chowder Cook-Off – June 10, 2017: The legendary Great Chowder Cook-Off is the original and longest-running event of its kind in the nation, and officially kicks off Rhode Island’s summer festivities! Enjoy endless samples of traditional and exotic creations- over 20 local, national and international competitors. You vote for your favorites and the winners walk away with overflowing prize pots and bragging rights for the year! More info at http://www.newportwaterfrontevents.com/great-chowder-cook-off/.
9. Annual Newport Flower Show – June 23 – 25, 2017: Transport your imagination to the place that has inspired generations of artists and gardeners – France. At Rosecliff, modeled after the Grand Trianon of Versailles, you’ll travel on a very French adventure, from grand gardens to urban Paris chic! More info at http://www.newportmansions.org/events/newport-flower-show.
10. 49th Annual Newport Music Festival – July 7 – 23, 2017: Newport Music Festival continues the tradition of presenting unique chamber music programs, American debuts, world-class artists and gala special events in the Gilded Age summer cottages of Newport, Rhode Island. More Info at http://www.newportmusic.org/.
11. Annual International Tennis Hall Of Fame Tennis Championships – July 9 – 16, 2017: Contested on the historic grass tennis courts of the International Tennis Hall of Fame, the tournament is the only event played on grass courts outside of Europe, and it offers the only opportunity to see professional men’s tennis in the Northeast prior to the US Open. More info at http://www.tennisfame.com/visit/hall-of-fame-tennis-championships-1/.
12. 34th Annual Black Ships Festival – July 13 – 16,2017: A Festival celebrating the friendship between Newport and their sister city Shimoda, Japan offering a variety of events emphasizing both Japanese art and culture. More info at http://www.blackshipsfestival.com/.
13. Annual Craft Brew Races Newport – July 22, 2017: A fun walk/run 5k in Newport followed by a craft beer festival with more than 30 local craft breweries. More info at http://craftbrewraces.com/.
14. 58th Annual Newport Folk Festival – July 28 – 30, 2017: The Newport Folk Festival, founded by George Wein in 1959, takes place on the grounds at Fort Adams State Park and features three stages of music, food, crafts and a number of displays. More info at http://www.newportfolk.org/.
15. 9th Annual Newport Bridgefest – July 31 – August 3, 2017: The Newport BridgeFest is a local, live music and music education festival that “bridges” the gap between the prestigious Newport Folk and Jazz Festivals for a continuous 10 days of music in our community. More info at http://www.newportbridgefest.com/.
16. 63rd Newport Jazz Festival – August 4 – 6, 2017: The festival features three full days of jazz on three unique stages at Fort Adams, one of the Park system’s national treasures situated at the mouth of Newport Harbor with panoramic views of the Newport Bridge and the East Passage. More info at http://newportjazzfest.org/.
17. 47th Annual Newport International Boat Show – September 14 – 17, 2017: One of the largest in-water boat shows in the country, NIBS features a full range of powerboats and sailboats from both domestic and international manufacturers. More info at http://www.newportboatshow.com/.
18. 12th Annual Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival – September 21 – 24, 2017: Held in one of the most spectacular settings in America, this remarkable weekend experience features hundreds of wines from around the world, fabulous food, cooking demonstrations by nationally-renowned chefs, live and silent auctions and a gala celebration. More info at http://www.newportmansions.org/events/wine-and-food-festival.
19. 3rd Annual Rogue Island Comedy Festival – October 5 – 8, 2017: Rhode Island’s only stand-up comedy festival brings the best nationally known comedians to historic Newport! More info at http://www.rogueislandcomedyfest.com/.
20. Newport Marathon – October 8, 2017: A 26.2 mile running tour of Aquidneck Island. This seaside USATF certified course showcases the best of Newport and Middletown. More info at http://newportmarathon.com/.
21. 27th Annual Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival – October 14 – 15, 2017: Historic Bowen’s Wharf in downtown Newport, RI, will host the 27th annual Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival, on October 14th and 15th. Named one of the “10 Fabulous Fall Festivals on the Coast,” by Coastal Living Magazine, this event is an open invitation to come back to the waterfront after the rush of the summer season! More info at http://www.bowenswharf.com/events.
22. Annual Citizen’s Bank Pell Bridge Run – October 22, 2017: This event is the most unique road race experience in the northeast! Once a year pedestrians are allowed to run or walk across the Claiborne Pell Bridge from Jamestown to Newport, R.I. More info at http://pellbridgerun.com/.
23. City Of Newport’s Illuminated Boat Parade – November 24, 2017: The City of Newport lights up the harbor on Black Friday with dozens of boats participating in the annual illuminated boat parade.
24. 2nd Annual Newport Holiday Stroll – December 1 – 3, 2017: Make your holidays merry and bright in Newport during the festive season by joining us for the Newport Holiday Stroll on December 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The 2017 Newport Holiday Stroll will feature free parking, complimentary gift wrapping, sip & shops, 15% discount at select restaurants with proof of retail purchase, Random Acts of Holiday Cheer and much more! More info at http://newportholidaystroll.com/.
25. Bowen’s Wharf 47th Annual Christmas Tree Lighting – December 2, 2017: Festivities begin at 4:30 with Frosty the Snowman! The Christmas Carol Sing-a-long begins at 5 pm, the Mayor lights the tree at 6 pm immediately followed by Santa and Mrs. Claus arriving by boat (weather permitting). More info at http://www.bowenswharf.com/events.
The Latest From WUN
- What’s Up This Week: Heart & Sole Walk for Animals, Full Moon Bike ride, The Exorcist, & more
- Newport Garden Club to host a talk by ‘The Seedhuntress’
- Changing seasons, changing exhibits at Little Compton Historical Society
- ‘Rock The Mansion’ raises more than $150,000 for Newport Mental Health
- Obituary: Grace Elaine Kinnunen