Rolex Big Boat Series draws 2016 U.S. calendar to a close with record-size fleet
The Rolex Big Boat Series is the third and concluding event of the 2016 Rolex Yachting calendar in the U.S., and it will close out the year with a bang. A record fleet of 127 boats has registered for the 52nd edition of the regatta that begins tomorrow and is hosted by the St. Francis Yacht Club on San Francisco Bay.
Two Rolex regattas earlier this year, the New York Yacht Club’s 162nd Annual Regatta (June 10-12) and New York Yacht Club Race Week at Newport (July 9-16), attracted 131 and 101 boats, respectively. Combined with the Rolex Big Boat Series, more than 350 boats will have competed in the three events, signaling a healthy state of big boat racing.
The St. Francis Yacht Club and New York Yacht Club are among 12 preeminent clubs around the world with which Rolex is associated. The Geneva-based watchmaker is one of the longest tenured supporters of global yacht racing, having first associated with the New York Yacht Club in 1958.
“I can’t express enough how grateful we are for Rolex’s support,” said Rolex Big Boat Series chairperson Susan Ruhne. “The brand’s involvement is a natural draw for owners and crews because they know that the race organization will be precise and the level of competition will be great. We’re very much looking forward to a record-setting Rolex Big Boat Series and setting a new standard for the regatta.”
The coveted prize at all Rolex Yachting events is a specially engraved Rolex timepiece. At the 2016 Rolex Big Boat Series, six class winners will receive a Stainless Steel Submariner Date watch.
September is a busy month on the Rolex Yachting international calendar, particularly in the Mediterranean Sea. Rolex partner Yacht Club Costa Smeralda in Porto Cervo, Sardinia, last week (Sept. 4-10) hosted the Maxi Yacht Rolex Cup, including the Rolex Maxi 72 World Championship, and this week (Sept. 11-18) hosts the Rolex Swan Cup, including the Swan 45 World Championship. Later this year the international calendar wraps up with the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race, which starts Dec. 26 in Sydney Harbor, Australia.
For more information please visit the Rolex Big Boat Series website.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million