The work of two prominent photographers with local ties, Elizabeth Ann Kahane and Nicholas Mele, will be featured at Salve Regina University when a summer gallery exhibition, “The Face of Grace: Photographic Portraits,” opens this evening (Wednesday, Aug. 10) on campus.
Both artists will attend the opening reception (and be available for media) from 4-6 p.m. at The Dorrance H. Hamilton Gallery, located in the Antone Academic Center, corner of Lawrence and Leroy avenues. The opening and the exhibition is free and open to the public.
Following tonight’s opening reception, the exhibition will run Aug. 11-12 and Aug. 18-20 from noon to 4 p.m.; and Aug. 13 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Elizabeth Anne Kahane came to her gallery subject through a lifelong commitment to special needs children and a heartfelt involvement in AHRC New York City’s annual “Special night for Special Children.” Her portraits of students at the AHRC Central Park Early Learning Center approach them with dignity and delight. She explores their specialness as she reveals the wonder, silliness and poignancy of each individual child. After years of enthusiastic support for the arts of New York City, Kahane has translated her passions to the Newport Art Museum, where she serves on the Board of Directors.
Nicholas Mele: Well-known in Newport, Mele is an East Coast-based photographer who specializes in portraiture of all kinds. From capturing stills on movie sets to taking concert shots of rock musicians to snapping partygoers in action, Mele brings a joyous spontaneity to his focus on confident people in the social spotlight. His work has been featured in publications such as Interview, Town & Country, Quest, Manhattan Magazine, and Vanity Fair. His Hamilton Gallery show is drawn from his intimate understanding and long documentation of America’s last grande dames and Newport’s society families in the context of their architectural and domestic settings.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Concert Recap and Photos: Alice Cooper and Ace Frehley at Leader Bank Pavilion (September 21, 2021)
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates