Newport Fire Department responded to 62 Halsey Street around 4 p.m on Tuesday for a small fire contained in a single story commercial structure. That structure would be the Newport County Tradesman Center II.
Crews quickly reported that the fire was knocked down and that they were checking for extension.
According to multiple sources, a man was found dead inside the commercial building after the fire was extinguished.
Update: The man has was identified as 57 year-old Luke Walter from Middletown on Wednesday..
This incident is under investigation by authorities, no further details have been shared at this time.
This story is developing and will be updated as more information is received.
The Latest From WUN
- “Six Picks” Pumpkin Ale – It’s the time of the season
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network
- Stop & Shop to hold a one-day career fair at all 27 Rhode Island locations
- RI Music Educators call on state, school districts to fund music & arts education