The following items of business, filed with the City Clerk under the Rules of the Council, will come before the Council at its regular meeting to be held on July 27, 2016, at 6:30 p.m. at Newport City Hall.
For links to any documents, head here.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
(Speakers must sign in with the City Clerk). The Citizen’s Forum period shall be no longer than fifteen minutes, and citizens may address the Council on one subject only and for no longer than three minutes. Issues to be discussed shall not include matters to be considered or discussed as part of the regular council agenda and must be related to substantive city business. No comments regarding personnel or job performance are allowed.
COUNCIL LIAISON UPDATES
1. CONSENT CALENDAR.
(THE CONSENT CALENDAR IS APPROVED IN ITS ENTIRETY UNLESS THE COUNCIL REMOVES AN ITEM FOR DISCUSSION. ALL LICENSES ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE WITH ORDINANCES #31-80 AND #98-40.)
- Special Event Licenses:
- Newport Yogis, LLC, d/b/a Free Yoga Event, Queen Anne Square; July 30, August 20 and September 17, 2016 from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Neville Watson, d/b/a Fun Day for the Jamaicans, Miantonomi Park; August 6, 2016 from 9:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Newport Art House, d/b/a Brunch Art & Flea Market Series, 136 Broadway; 8/14/16, 9/11/16, 10/9/16, 11/13/16, and 12/11/16 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- OceanPointe Christian Church, d/b/a Free Movie Night, Cardines Field; September 2, 2016 from 7:30 p.m. to10:30 p.m.
- Brigid E. Kelly Memorial Fund, Inc., d/b/a Brigid E. Kelly Family Walk; Gooseberry Beach, October 1, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Edward A. Sherman Publishing Co., d/b/a The Big Boy Toy Show, Fort Adams State Park; June 18, 2017 from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Holiday Selling License, Renewals, Gregory Jordan and Andrew Borer, d/b/a:
- House of Scrimshaw and Gifts, 132 Thames St.
- Newports Best Tee Shirts, Sweatshirts, Souvenirs, 107 Swinburne Row
- New Store, The, 101 Swinburne Row
- Souvenir Stop, The, 115 Swinburne Row
- Souvenir Stop II, The, 359 Thames St., Unit F2
- T Shirt Town, 182 Thames St., Unit B
- Holiday Selling License, New, Ultimate Mobile Wireless, LLC, d/b/a Metro PCS, 70 Broadway
- Holiday Selling License, New, Anchored in Pink, LLC, d/b/a Coast to Country Outfitters, 477 Thames St.
- Communication from Kathleen M. Dunn, re:Request to hold a block party on Yale Street, August 13, 2016 from 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Rain date, August 14, 2016) (Approve subject to details being worked out with City Administration)
- Communication from Elizabeth Cullen, re:Request to hold a block party on Bayside Avenue, August 13, 2016 from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Rain date, August 14, 2016) (Approve subject to details being worked out with City Administration)
- Communication from Christopher M. Roberts, re:Request to hold a block party on Champlin Place North, September 4, 2016 from noon to 8:00 p.m. (Approve subject to details being worked out with City Administration)
- Communication from Evelyn Wheeler, re:Request to adopt an ordinance to allow property owners with Historical Cemeteries on their property an abatement according to R.I.G.L. 44-3-63 (Receive and refer to City Administration for a recommendation)
- i. Communication from Janetta Donovan, re: Butler Basketball Club’s First Annual Community Day, August 14, 2016 (Receive)
LICENSES & PERMITS
- Farmer’s Market License, New, Aquidneck Growers Market, d/b/a/ Pop Up Farmer’s Market; East Bay Community Action, 6 John Chafee Blvd. and Martin Luther King Community Center, 20 Marcus Wheatland Blvd; 8/2/16, 8/16/16, 9/13/16, 9/20/16, 10/4/16, and 10/18/16 from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
3. APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
Note: Vacancies currently or soon will exist on the following Boards and Commissions:
Accessibility Advisory Committee, Ad Hoc Committee on Waste Water and Storm Water Improvements, Affirmative Action Commission, Beach Commission, Charter Review Commission, Finance Review Committee, Harbor Walk Commission, Historic Cemetery Advisory Commission, Historic District Commission, Hospitality Commission, Tree and Open Space Commission, Zoning Board
- Clarification regarding street busking- L. Ceglie
- Requesting the City Administration to waive the provision of city ordinances for Broadway businesses that require all doors and windows to be closed during indoor entertainment- J. McLaughlin, L. Ceglie
- Requesting the City Administration to investigate utilizing a portion of the Easton’s Beach parking lot for tourist parking and investigate establishing a trolley system with the cooperation of large tourism groups- J. Florez, K. Leonard
- Amending Chapter 8 of the Codified Ordinances, entitled, “Health and Safety” Section 8.12.060, entitled, “Exceptions” (Second Reading)
- Amending Chapter 10.32.110 of the Codified Ordinances, entitled, “Designated Residential Parking Streets”, to add Dresser Street, twenty four (24) hours a day (Second Reading)
COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY MANAGER
- Memo from the City Manager RE: Decorative Streetlight Policy
- Action #5560/16 RE: Renewal of Contract – Information Management Services (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action # 5561/16 RE: Award of Bid – Hunter Park Basketball Court Improvements (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action # 5562/16 RE: Award of Bid – Professional Services for Planning and Designing for the Development of a New Municipal Public Services Facility (w/accompanying resolution)