Anthony J. Leander, 86, formerly of Grafton St, Newport, died Friday, June 17, 2016 at Heatherwood Nursing and Subacute Center.
Anthony worked for many years at the Coca-Cola Bottling plant in Newport. After the plant closing, he began work in landscaping. He enjoyed the work, and worked for several different companies over the years. He was also a dedicated and well versed fan of the Red Sox.
He is survived by a sister: Ann Leander Gibson and her husband Ronald Gibson of Jefferson, OH, several nieces and nephews: Kathleen Beattie and Cate Beattie, Gerard Beattie, Ronald Gibson, Joseph Gibson, and Julie Gibson; his sister In Law, Eileen Leander, and many more cousins and great nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his brother, Joseph T. Leander and sister, Julie L. Beattie.
A burial service will be held on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 10am in St. Columba Cemetery Chapel, 465 Browns Lane, Middletown, RI with Rev. Kris VonMaluski officiating.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill