Congregation Shearith Israel, of New York, the nation’s oldest Jewish congregation, said on Tuesday in a filing that it would appeal to the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in its fight over who controls Touro Synagogue and who owns a set of ceremonial bells that are reportedly worth millions.
This is an appeal to a decision that removed it as trustee of the nation’s oldest synagogue. Back on May 16th, a judge ruled that Touro Synagogue would remain in the care of the current owners.
NBC 10 and the Associated Press with more information, here – Congregation to file appeal in fight for Newport synagogue.
The Latest From WUN
- City of Newport: A portion of the Cliff Walk will be closed on Monday for maintenance
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend