Netflix has acquired global rights to Charlie McDowell’s The Discovery, starring Rooney Mara (Carol), Robert Redford (Truth) and Jason Segel (The End of the Tour). The film will premiere on Netflix and in select theaters in the US in 2017.
Directed by Charlie McDowell and written by McDowell and Justin Lader, The Discovery is a gripping love story set one year after the existence of the afterlife is scientifically verified. Redford plays the scientist responsible for the discovery, with Segel portraying his son Will and Mara playing Isla, a woman haunted by a tragic past who Will falls in love with.
“To describe the story as original doesn’t begin to capture the world that Charlie has created that will envelop you,” said Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos. “Our global viewers are going to love this film.”
Our coverage of the film;
- April 23 – PHOTOS: Governor Raimondo and State Leaders Visit set of “The Discovery” in Newport
- April 5 – Newport Hospital Used in Filming of ‘The Discovery’ with Jason Segel, Robert Redford and Rooney Mara
- March 8 – Robert Redford, Rooney Mara and Jason Segel To Film ‘The Discovery’ on Aquidneck Island
Endgame’s James Stern added: “I am a big fan of Charlie’s work and jumped at the chance to work with him on an incredible script with an exceptionally talented cast. And to be in partnership with Netflix is a perfect storm for Endgame.”
Shot on location in Rhode Island, the film also features Jesse Plemons (Breaking Bad), Riley Keough (American Honey, The Girlfriend Experience) and Ron Canada (The Strain).
The Discovery joins the growing lineup of Netflix original films, and titles premiering in 2016, including: The Fundamentals of Caring, starring Paul Rudd, Craig Roberts and Selena Gomez, premiering June 24; Tallulah, starring Ellen Page and Allison Janney, premiering July 29; in the U.S., the lauded animated film, The Little Prince starting August 5, featuring the voices of Jeff Bridges, Rachel McAdams, Paul Rudd, Marion Cotillard and Benicio Del Toro; David Michôd’s War Machine, starring Brad Pitt, Anthony Michael Hall, Topher Grace, Will Poulter with Tilda Swinton and Ben Kingsley (fall ‘16); The Siege of Jadotville, starring Jamie Dornan and Guillaume Canet (fall ‘16); Mascots from director Christopher Guest (fall ‘16); and True Memoirs of an International Assassin starring Kevin James (fall ‘16); among other titles.
The Discovery was produced by Alex Orlovsky of Verisimilitude and James D. Stern of Endgame Entertainment, and was co-financed by Endgame Entertainment and Protagonist Pictures. Executive Producers are Mike Goodridge and Dimitra Tsingou for Protagonist, and Julie Goldstein and Lucas Smith for Endgame.
McDowell recently made his feature film directorial debut with The One I Love, starring Mark Duplass and Elisabeth Moss. The film, written by McDowell and Justin Lader, premiered at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival as a critics’ favorite. McDowell recently directed episodes of the third season of the HBO Emmy and Golden Globe winning hit comedy television series, Silicon Valley.
Alex Orlovsky has a slew of award-winning credits including The Place Beyond The Pines, Blue Valentine, The Wolfpack and Half Nelson. Stern and Endgame have produced a host of hit independent films including Steven Soderbergh’s Side Effects which also starred
Rooney Mara, Rian Johnson’s Looper, Lone Scherfig’s An Education (nominated for Best Picture), and I’m Not There directed by Todd Haines and starring Oscar nominated Cate Blanchett.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13