The U.S. Coast Guard, Newport Fire Department, Middletown Fire Department, Jamestown Fire Department and several other agencies responded to Bailey’s Beach for a water rescue/search around 3 p.m. on Wednesday.
A helicopter from the U.S. Coast Guard and a jet ski from Middletown were among the vehicles searching the area.
Authorities responded to Bailey’s Beach for a report of a boat that had drifted in with a person intoxicated and unconscious on board, authorities have stated that the search was a “precaution” because they didn’t know if anyone else was onboard.
The person, a 17-year-old boy, was transported to Newport Hospital.
Authorities have confirmed that the teen has been charged with a DUI, they believe no one else was on board.
This story will be updated as more information is made available
Incident Feed & What Other’s Are Saying
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13