Newport resident Adrienne Haylor was among the 4 outside candidates to file declarations of candidacy on Monday.
“I turned in my declaration of candidacy papers, 8:30 this morning for the Newport Public School Committee. I am a first time candidate. I retired from a 15 year career in education in June 2015, returned to my hometown of Newport and have actively been following the course of the NPS, attending school committee meeting on a regular basis, as well as the NPS and city council liaison meetings, budget workshops and city council meetings,” Hayor told What’sUpNewp on Monday evening.
Sandra J. Flowers (Incumbent), Jo Eva Gaines (Incumbent), Thomas S. Phelan, Kathleen M. Silvia (Incumbent) and David C. Hanos, JR. (Incumbent) join Haylor in being the Newport School Committee Candidates who have currently declared candidacy for the November 8th election.
“My interest in the running for this committee, is to provide the best educational programs for all students and their success’., with an understanding of curriculum, school finances, budget process, state and federal funding.
I am a product of NPS and want to assist in revitalizing the pride in our city school district,” Haylor said.
June 27, 28 and 29 are the dates in 2016 for filing declarations to be candidates in primaries or to be independent candidates in the general election. Candidates for federal office and independent presidential electors file with the Department of State’s Elections Division. Candidates for gerneral assembly, local offices, district committees and local committees file with local boards of canvassers where the candidate is registered to vote.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools