Robert R. “Sonny” Kuiee, 83, of Newport died Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at Newport Hospital.
He was the husband of the late Lydia Esther (Candelario) Kuiee.
Born at home on June 26, 1932 in Newport, RI, he was the son of the late Alfred Benjamin and Edith Mildred (Sprague) Kuiee.
Sonny served in the United States Army during the Korean War. He worked as an arborist for the City of Newport.
He is survived by his children, Modesto Echevarria of Middletown, RI, Michael Kuiee and Miguel Kuiee of Newport, RI, Tony Luis Kuiee of Bristol, RI, Norman Barksdale of Newport, RI, Dana Leavitt of Portsmouth, RI, Tina Kuiee of Newport, RI, Rosa Kuiee of Providence, RI, Kitty Kuiee of Newport, RI and Deborah Barksdale of Warren, RI, his siblings, Johnny Kuiee of Bennett, CO, William Kuiee of North Kingstown, RI, Jack Kuiee of Middletown, RI, Leo Sequoia of Newport, RI, and Emily Walther of Olympia, WA, many grandchildren, great grandchildren, great-great grandchildren and multiple nephews and nieces.
He was the father of the late Robert Kuiee and the brother of the late Leroy Kuiee, Andrew Kuiee, Benjamin Kuiee, Mildred Kuiee and Evelyn Echevarria.
A Celebration of Life with Military Honors will be held on Saturday, July 2, 2016, at 12PM at the VFW, Underwood Lane, Middletown, RI.
In lieu of flowers, donations in his memory may be made to the Housing Hotline, 10A Collins Street, Newport, RI 02840.
The Latest From WUN
- City of Newport: A portion of the Cliff Walk will be closed on Monday for maintenance
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend