On Saturday May 14th the American Cancer Society’s Aquidneck Island Relay for Life will take place at Gaudet Middle School in Middletown from 10:00 am – 10:00 pm.
This is an opportunity for families to come remember loved one’s lost or battling cancer and fight back. At a Relay For Life event participants celebrate with music, games and activities around the track as they walk in memory of or to honor those touched by cancer.
A free survivor and caregiver lunch (sponsored by the Hotel Viking) will be held at 11:30 followed by their Survivor/Caregiver lap at 12:30. If you are a cancer survivor and wish to participate in the lunch, please reach out to Kerry Seibert at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 401-855-0885.
The Relay For Life of Aquidneck Island has teamed up with the YMCA of Newport County who will be doing a few classes throughout the day and the US Marines are back to do Cadence and an obstacle course for the kids (and the adults), Many themed laps will take place during the day and into the night while supporters walk laps around the track.
The event will have DJ Butch performing from 10-2 PM and at 4 PM, they also have musical performances finishing with the Folsom Band ( a Charlie Daniels Tribute Band) from 6-7.
The concession stand will be open for lunch starting at 11:45. They will have a vendor market place from 12-5 pm with vendors selling water beads and natural skin care products, jewelry, rosary beads , etc. Home Depot will also be present with a workshop for kids from 11-1.
The Mr. Relay contest (their male supporters dressed in gowns and vying for the coveted award) will be at 9:00 pm and is always a good laugh. There will be many opportunities to donate to the American Cancer Society at their team’s track side fundraisers taking place from 11-7. These will include children’s activities, snacks and games and items for sale such as lap beads and luminary bags that you can decorate. At the luminaria ceremony, these bags will line the track and be lit for the reflective lap in silence.
With over 250 people already registered for the event, it promises to be a great time – with raffles, silent auction items and a great day to give back! Go celebrate with them, walk with our teams, and support the American Cancer Society.
Contact Kerry Seibert at email@example.com or call 401-855-0885 for any additional information. Website is www.relayforlife.org/aquidneckislandri for a full schedule of events.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)