Newport Police Department, Newport Fire Department, State Bomb Squad and the U.S. Navy responded to Fort Adams State Park today when a visitor to the park discovered what’s believed to be an antiquated explosive device.
At 1:28 p.m. today, Navy EOD was in the process of containing what they believe is some form of a land mine that’s “very old” and preparing it for transport from Fort Adams State Park for disposal.
It is not clear how long the device has been there or where exactly it was located.
Update (4:48 p.m.) – This was discovered to be an very old type of munition, some type of hand deployed bomb or grenade. Navy EOD took it into the fort and rendered it safe.
We will pass along additional information, if/as it becomes available.
The Latest From WUN
- What’s Up This Weekend: Heart & Sole Walk for Animals, Goat Hikes, Barks & Brews, and more
- Obituary: Gardiner Lee Sherman
- The Minks coming to Askew Thursday, October 21
- Irish immigrant women in domestic service topic of upcoming lecture
- Foiling Kiteboarder slashes 1 minute and 14 seconds off Around Jamestown Record