The new online showcase for the collections of the Providence Public Library released over 1,400 historic photos into their digital library on Tuesday, many of these new additions are photos of Newport and Block Island.
Photos released today include images that almost all over one hundred years old of Bellevue Avenue, Spring Street, the Newport Bridge, Downtown Newport, boats sailing in Newport Harbor and shots of Thames Street.
Over the coming months and years, the Providence Library plans to offer more ways to access their collections online. Currently 6,392 historic photos are able to be viewing in their digital library.
The Providence Public Library encourages the use of all items in the Providence Public Library digital collections for fair use purposes such as teaching, research, and private study. It is solely the patron’s obligation to determine and ensure that use of material fully complies with copyright law and other possible restrictions on use.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million
- Frank Prosnitz: My Jazz Festival’s Top Picks
- Gerry Goldstein: Word horseplay draws some pun-gent responses