A sure sign that summer is near? Metered Parking and Residential Sticker Parking starts on Sunday, May 1st.
On-street metered parking will be in effect from 9:00 a.m. through 9:00 p.m. daily from May 1st through October 31st.
On-street metered parking is located on specific streets throughout downtown Newport and along Memorial Blvd. and at Easton’s Beach.
Parking at an on-street metered space is limited to a maximum of three hours and the rate is $1.25 per hour. The meters located on Memorial Blvd. near Easton’s Beach are $2 per hour. All parking meters do accept coin or credit cards.
Metered Parking at Cliff Walk and Forty Steps
A Pay-by-Plate multi-space parking meter is located Narragansett Ave near the Forty Steps Restroom. Choose the number of hours you wish to park (up to 4 hours), enter your license plate number and deposit your payment (credit card, coins or dollars, $1.25 per hour). There is no need to return to your vehicle to put a receipt on the dashboard.
Residential Sticker Parking Program
Newport’s Residential Sticker Parking Program is in effect from May 1st through October 1st.
Specific streets throughout Newport are designated as Residential Sticker Parking streets by City Ordinance. Parking on Residential Sticker Parking streets is restricted to vehicles with Residential Parking Permits.
Signs are posted on streets where Residential Permits are required and the hours in which they are in effect. (24 hours, 6pm to 6am, or 6 am to 6pm).
Public Parking Lots
The following Public Parking Lots are pay to park from May 1st through October 31st.
Other Parking Restrictions & Things To Know
- Street signs are posted where parking is prohibited or time restricted
- Parking for more than 24 hours on any public street is prohibited.
- Parking is prohibited at yellow painted curbing.
- Accessible parking spots are available for those displaying a valid placard on a first come first served bases and are not subject to meters, time limits or residential sticker parking restrictions.
- Motorcycles are prohibited from parking on the sidewalks at all times. Up to four motorcycles may be parking in one metered parking spaces. There are limited motorcycle only parking spaces throughout Newport.
- Fishing permits for restricted areas are available at City Hall from September 1st through April 30th of each year.