Discover the best events, activities and things to do during this weekend in and around Newport, RI.
(In chronological order)
1 – Salve Regina 11th Annual French Film Festival
April 3 – 14
Six thought-provoking films, including the 1959 classic, “Hiroshima Mon Amour,” will be featured when Salve Regina University presents its French Film Festival April 3-14 in Newport.
All films and special festival events are open to the public and will be presented on the campus of Salve Regina University. Films will be screened in Bazarsky Lecture Hall in O’Hare Academic Center on Ochre Point Avenue, and an opening night wine and cheese reception will be held after the first night’s screening in McAuley Hall, which is directly adjacent to O’Hare.
Festival passes for admittance to all films and events during the week are available for $35; Sunday films with receptions are $15; and weeknight films are $10. Tickets and festival passes are available at www.salve.edu/french-film-festival or at the door. Call (401) 341-2197 for more information or e-mail general questions to email@example.com.
2 – Stormy Seas by Kris Offilll, Opening Reception
Friday at 6pm at Blink Gallery, 478 Thames Street
In time with the tumultuous weather, Offill’s work elevates a stormy scene into a romantic and intense experience. Kris Offill is a self-taught local painter known for his moody seascapes and award winning figurative works. The locally-inspired works on view straddle a line between abstraction and representation. They are expressive and powerful, just of the edge of recognizable, yet they clearly create the intensity of a storm. In 2014 Kris won ‘best in show’ at the Newport Art Museum Annual juried members show.
3 – Island Moving Company Open Rehearsal
Friday from 7pm to 9:30pm | Facebook Event
Please join us on Friday April 8th for our 2nd Open Reheasal of 2016. Enjoy an informal evening of dance at our studio. Chat with guest choreographers Bill Evans and Mark Harootian and IMC dancers.
This event is free but due to overwhelming turnout in February we ask you to reserve your space in advance. Please bring your favorite beverage to share!
When you register, we will enter your name to win a ticket to our VETS performance, “Moment to Moment” on April 23rd
4 – Popup Movie Night featuring Black Mass
Friday at 7pm at Hotel Viking
Date night at Hotel VIking! We’ll be showing Black Mass (R) at Kay Chapel starting at 7:00pm. Doors open at 6:30pm. Come early and movie-goers get half price appetizers in the One Bellevue Lounge.
5 – Live Improv Comedy with The Bit Players
Friday and Saturday at 8pm at The Firehouse Theatre
RI’s most award-winning comedy troupe hits the stage with their hilarious improv show full of larger than life characters, hysterical musical numbers, & the quickest wit you’ll ever see EVERY Fri & Sat night at 8pm. If you are going for a special occasion & would like a person(s) of honor to be part of the show let us know in advance. We will create a customized game just for your group! We encourage ALL guests to buy tickets online, shows often sell out. All shows are BYOB! Laugh More.Tickets and more information available at www.bitplayers.net.
6 – Second Saturday – El Día des los Niños/El Día des los Libros
Saturday at 10am to 12pm at Hotel Viking
Celebrate the 20th anniversary of El Día des los Niños/El Día des los Libros (Children’s Day/Book Day) at the Museum! We’re marking this annual multicultural family literacy initiative in partnership with the Providence Community Library and Ecuadorian visiting artist Ildefonso “Poncho” Franco. Together children will make a grand collaborative multi-media collage “tapestry” based on the theme “Kids Around the World”. So bring your friends and enjoy an artful and inspired morning! Expand your children’s visual literacy skills with a mini guided “Learning to Look” tour where we’ll focus on close looking at one or two works selected especially for Second Saturday.
Admission is free to Second Saturdays (donations welcome). Preregistration appreciated! http://bit.ly/1UETUn3
7 – Newport vs Providence – RI Cup (Rugby)
Saturday at 1pm at Fort Adams
Newport Rugby hosts Providence Rugby for the Rhode Island Cup! Come support the team as we fight to keep the Cup in Newport.
8 – KEEPING HISTORY ABOVE WATER
APRIL 10-13, Newport Marriott
A groundbreaking conference about sea level rise and its impact on historic preservation. Keeping History Above Water will be one of the first national conversations to focus on the increasing and varied risks posed by sea level rise to historic coastal communities and their built environments. This is not a conference about climate change, but about what can be done to protect historic buildings, landscapes and neighborhoods from the increasing threat of inundation.
Over four days, specialists from across the United States and abroad will share experiences, examine risks, and debate solutions with an emphasis on case studies and real world applications.
For anyone concerned with preserving historic coastal communities, Keeping History Above Water offers an opportunity to hear from leaders in the field, participate in workshops on practical solutions, tour threatened areas and structures in Newport and its environs, and simply connect over this area of shared concern. More Info
Live Music and Entertainment Listings
- Kay Chapel (Hotel Viking: Popup Movie Night featuring Black Mass at 7pm
- One Bellevue Lounge (Hotel Viking): Live music with The Playboys from 7pm – 11pm.
- Saltwater at Newport Harbor Hotel: Live music with Steve Mortrude from 7pm – 10pm.
- Wharf Pub: Live music with Brian Scott from 8pm – 11pm No cover.
- Buskers: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No Cover.
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10pm. No cover.
- Clarke Cooke House: DJ & Dancing in the Boom Boom Room from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Firehouse Theater: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music with Ocean Grown Collective at 9pm
- Jo’s Bistro: Live music with John & Joanne from 7pm to 10pm. No cover.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music at 10pm. No cover.
- Newport Blues Cafe: Live music at 9pm.
- O’brien’s Pub: Live music at 5pm.
- One Pelham East: Live music with The Sugar Babies @Pelham at 10pm.
- Parlor Bar & Kitchen: Live music with MURPHY’S Law w/ The Freeze, Agitator, Micky Rickshaw at 9pm.
- Pour Judgement: Live music at 10pm.
- Speakeasy: Live music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live Reggae music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Firehouse Theater: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8pm and 10pm.
- Hotel Viking (One Bellevue Lounge) Live Music from 7pm – 11pm.
- Saltwater at Newport Harbor Hotel: Live music from 7pm-10pm. No cover.
- Wharf Pub: Live music with Mark Maccall from 8pm – 11pm. No cover
- Buskers: Live music with Brian Twohey from 8pm to 1am. No Cover.
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10pm. No cover.
- Clarke Cooke House: Live music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Fifth Element: Live music at 10pm. No cover.
- Genie’s Hookah Lounge: DJ & Dancing at 9pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon:Live music with Tiny Diamond – Album Release Party at 9pm.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Narragansett Cafe: Live music at 9pm. No cover.
- Newport Blues Cafe: Live music at 9pm.
- Newport Grand: Live music at 9pm.
- O’brien’s Pub – DJ C-Gray from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- One Pelham East: Live music with at 9pm.
- Parlor Bar & Kitchen: Live music with THIS SATURDAY! WOODY PINES w/ Warbler Roost in NEWPORT at 9pm.
- Pour Judgement: Live music at 10pm
- Speakeasy: Live music with Chopville from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live music with The North & South Dakotas Live at The Tavern On Broadway W/SG: Bob Loudon, Dave Huth & Friends at 10pm. No cover.
- Wharf Pub: Live music from 2pm to 5pm. No cover
- Clarke Cooke House: Live music with Bobby Ferreira from 12:30pm to 3:30pm. No cover.
- Fastnet Pub: Live traditional Irish Music from 6pm to 9pm. No cover.
- Fifth Element: Live music from 12pm to 3pm . No cover.
- Jimmy’s: Live Music at 9pm.
- Maison DNA: Steve Delmonico (The Quahogs) & Florence Wallis / Dan Dodd / icky woods – Live at Maison DNA at 6pm
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music with Justin Pomfret from 4pm to 7pm.
- Pour Judgement: Live music with Los Duderinos from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Speakeasy: Live music with Stu Sinclair at 8:30pm. No cover.