Discover the best events, activities and things to do during March in and around Newport, RI.
(In chronological order)
1 – KEEPING HISTORY ABOVE WATER
APRIL 10-13, Newport Marriott
A groundbreaking conference about sea level rise and its impact on historic preservation. Keeping History Above Water will be one of the first national conversations to focus on the increasing and varied risks posed by sea level rise to historic coastal communities and their built environments. This is not a conference about climate change, but about what can be done to protect historic buildings, landscapes and neighborhoods from the increasing threat of inundation.
Over four days, specialists from across the United States and abroad will share experiences, examine risks, and debate solutions with an emphasis on case studies and real world applications. For anyone concerned with preserving historic coastal communities, Keeping History Above Water offers an opportunity to hear from leaders in the field, participate in workshops on practical solutions, tour threatened areas and structures in Newport and its environs, and simply connect over this area of shared concern. More Info
2 – Beer Pairing Dinner with Two Roads Brewing Company
Wednesday at 6pm
Enjoy a $39 price fix beer pairing dinner at Hotel Viking. April 13 Beer Pairing Dinner Featuring Two Roads Brewing Company
Appetizer: Assorted Mashed Root Vegetable Crostini – brie cheese, brown butter glaze
Entrée: Oxtail Pot Pie – apple slaw
Dessert: Coffee Panna Cotta
3 – Art After Dark: Primavera & First Light Funeral
Thursday from 5pm to 9pm
The longer days mean it’s “Primavera” and time to celebrate spring and the cycle of life. Together with The Newport Arboretum, the Museum will host First Light Funeral, a farewell to our beloved 180-year-old Fernleaf Beech tree, in true New Orleans style! Exhibiting Annual Show artist talk with Alexander Nesbitt Photography, Chefs in Residence Harvest Kitchen and Sweet Magnolia Soups, popcorn courtesy of newportFILM, guided mini tours, Rhode Island’s Ballet Theatre performances, star gazing on the lawn with Skyscrapers, Inc. Amateur Astronomical Society of Rhode Island, special shrine exhibits made in workshops led by Christina Bertoni, and procession led by Peter Davis and the Salve Regina University jazz band ending in a “tree eulogy” by Nancy Austin, noted local scholar. Admission is free for Members.
($10 suggested donation for non-members)
4 – April Newport Gallery Night
Thursday from 5pm to 8pm
Newport Gallery Night is returning this April on Thursday, April 14, 2016. Participating galleries, museums and cultural institutions will be open from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. for anyone who wishes to view wonderful local artwork. This month there are many exciting exhibitions happening all over town! For more info, visit http://www.newportgalleries.org/
5 – 20th Annual Swing into Spring
Thursday from 6pm to 10pm
This fun-filled night features dinner, dancing, live music form Wayz And Means, live and silent auctions, raffles, and more, all to benefit the MLK Community Center’s critical hunger relief, education, and community programs serving approximately 3,000 local children, adults, and seniors each year. Their goal is to gather 400 people and net more than $115,000. Tickets are $85 in advance, $95 at the door. A table of 10 costs $750. To purchase tickets or for more information, please contact: Alyson Novick at (401) 846-4828 x102
Live Music, Entertainment & Comedy Listings
- Diegos: Trivia at 9pm
- Fastnet: Live music with The Ubiquitones from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Fifth Element: Live music with The Groove Merchants from 7pm to 10pm
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with Julio Amaro from 6pm to 9pm. No cover.
- Empire Tea & Coffee (Broadway Location): Acoustic folk jam at 7:30pm.
- O’brien’s: Trivia at 9:30pm
- Wharf Pub: Open Mic at 8pm.
- Buskers: Open mic night with Mike Warner from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Fastnet: Pub Trivia at 9pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music at 8pm
- Norey’s Star Restaurant: Live music with at 9pm. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with The Throttles from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Sardella’s: Live jazz music at 7:30pm. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live jazz music at 7pm.
- Celtica: Trivia at 9pm
- Hibernian Hall: Live music with The Playboys at 6pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Open mic at 9pm.
- Norey’s Star Restaurant: Live jazz music at 7:30pm. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with The HonkyTonk Knights from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Speakeasy: Live music with Justin Pomfret at 9pm.
- Wharf Pub: Bingo at 8pm
- Buskers: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No Cover.
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10pm. No cover.
- Clarke Cooke House: DJ & Dancing in the Boom Boom Room from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Firehouse Theater: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8pm.
- Hotel Viking (One Bellevue Lounge): Live music from 7pm – 11pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music with at 9pm.
- Jo’s Bistro: Live music with John & Joanne from 7pm to 10pm. No cover.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music at 10pm. No cover.
- Newport Blues Cafe: Live music at 9pm.
- One Pelham East: Live music at 9pm.
- Parlor Bar & Kitchen: Live music at 9pm.
- Speakeasy: Live music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live Reggae music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Wharf Pub: Live music at 8:30pm. No cover.
The Latest From WUN
- What’s Up This Weekend: Heart & Sole Walk for Animals, Goat Hikes, Barks & Brews, and more
- Obituary: Gardiner Lee Sherman
- The Minks coming to Askew Thursday, October 21
- Irish immigrant women in domestic service topic of upcoming lecture
- Foiling Kiteboarder slashes 1 minute and 14 seconds off Around Jamestown Record