Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Traffic flow and parking in Newport will be affected by the 2016 Aquidneck Island National Police Parade, which kicks off at 1150 AM on Sunday, May 1st , 2016. Traffic will be congested in the Lower Broadway, Washington Square area from about 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Parking will be limited. The parade participants will begin staging on West Main Road at 9:00 AM so it is recommended that people coming to Newport approach from either Memorial Blvd or Connell Hwy to America’s Cup Ave.
The two best routes into the city with available public parking are:
- Westbound on Memorial Blvd, right onto Bellevue Ave (northbound), left on Church St and right into the Waterfront parking lot (situated between Church and Mary St).
- Farewell St south to America’s Cup Ave and right into the Gateway parkinggarage.Parking is prohibited on the following streets from 5:00 AM to 3:00 PM. All vehicles parked in restricted areas will be towed:
- Broadway from Admiral Kalbfus to Washington Sq. south (both sides)
- Touro Street from Thames St to Spring Street
- Charles Street and Duke StreetCity ordinances (open containers of alcohol in public, noise violations, etc.) will be strictly enforced along the parade route.