Traffic flow and parking in Newport will be affected by the 2016 Aquidneck Island National Police Parade, which kicks off at 1150 AM on Sunday, May 1st , 2016. Traffic will be congested in the Lower Broadway, Washington Square area from about 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Parking will be limited. The parade participants will begin staging on West Main Road at 9:00 AM so it is recommended that people coming to Newport approach from either Memorial Blvd or Connell Hwy to America’s Cup Ave.
The two best routes into the city with available public parking are:
- Westbound on Memorial Blvd, right onto Bellevue Ave (northbound), left on Church St and right into the Waterfront parking lot (situated between Church and Mary St).
- Farewell St south to America’s Cup Ave and right into the Gateway parkinggarage.Parking is prohibited on the following streets from 5:00 AM to 3:00 PM. All vehicles parked in restricted areas will be towed:
- Broadway from Admiral Kalbfus to Washington Sq. south (both sides)
- Touro Street from Thames St to Spring Street
- Charles Street and Duke StreetCity ordinances (open containers of alcohol in public, noise violations, etc.) will be strictly enforced along the parade route.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts