Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Discover the best events, activities and things to do during March in and around Newport, RI.
(In chronological order)
1 – Newport Daffodil Days Festival
April 16th – 24th throughout Newport
Featuring fun, free, family activities throughout Newport over nine days, organizers of the event say the 2016 festival promises to be bigger and daffier than ever. Go to www.daffodillion.com for more information and for updated weather information. Here’s a look at what’s happening day by day during the festival;
Monday, April 18
- Noon – 3pm: Dabble & Doodle the Daffys
- Draw the 15,000 daffodils blooming at Miantonomi Park
- Complimentary “Hot Diggity Daffy Dogs”
- Miantonomi Park
Wednesday, April 20
- 1:30-2:15pm: Young Buds go Daffy
- Singer and storyteller Chris Carbone
- Lawn of Redwood Library
Thursday, April 21
- 9am – 4pm Sidewalk Chalk Painting
- Sidewalk Square with box of 16 colored sidewalk chalks
- $10. $5 with Daffy Pin
- Pell School
- 6-:7:30pm: Spring Fling with the Newport Tree Society
- Music, appetizers, glass of wine and silent auction
- Tickets $30. $25 with Daffodil Pin
- Chanler on Cliff Walk
Friday, April 22 – EARTH DAY
- 10am: Ceremonial Tree Planting among the Daffodils with the Newport Tree Society
- Pell Bridge off Ramp; JT Connell Hwy.
- 1pm: Charlie and the Bucket Truck Kids Event
- Miantonomi Park
2 – Patriot’s Day at Plumby’s
Monday at 12pm
Plumby’s Upstairs Burger Bar at Brick Alley Pub will be giving two red sox tickets away for June 4th game versus Toronto on Monday ($104 face value). The first 50 customers at Plumbys before 2pm will be automatically entered to win. Purchase of Bud, Bud Light, or Grey Sail captains daughter gets another ticket. Winner will be drawn at 2pm, you must be present to win. Plumby’s opens at 11am.
3 – Save The Bay Exploration Center Visits Hotel Viking
Tuesday at 10am
As part of Hotel Vikings April School Break Family Events, Exploration Center & Aquarium – Save The Bay is coming to Hotel VIking with a touch tank for children to see, touch and learn about sea creatures! Activities are free.Stay for lunch! One Bellevue has extended their Restaurant Week menu (3 courses for $16) and offers a children’s menu.
4 – Arts Around The Fire
Tuesday at 6pm at Salvation Cafe
Sandy Nesbitt, photographer and one of the planners of Sunday Gallery Sunday, will be the guest. Sunday Gallery Sunday is a fresh take on the gallery tour, highlighting Newport’s lively gallery scene in informal tours with friendly gatherings at each end. Find out how you can participate or suggest new venues to include in the tours. Arts Around the Fire features a cash bar, complimentary hors d’oeuvres donated by Salvation Café and an informal atmosphere where artists and art lovers can connect
5 – Screening of RE– USE! Because You Can’t Recycle The Planet
Wednesday at 6pm
Salve Regina University’s Environmental Club, in collaboration with Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation will be hosting a one-time screening of RE– USE! Because You Can’t Recycle The Planet as well as a talk back with director Alex Eaves as part of the University’s Earth Week celebration in The O’Hare Academic Building at Salve Regina University on Wednesday April 20th at 6 p.m. Admission is free and the event is open to the public. More Info
6 – Beer Pairing Dinner with Revival Brewing Company
Wednesday at 6pm at Hotel Viking
Enjoy a $39 price fix beer pairing dinner at Hotel Viking. Enjoy special guests from the brewery (or distributor) to tell you about your beer. #VikingBeerDinner Menu: Appetizer: Fried Black Mission Fig – shaved pecorino, roasted red grape
Entrée: Pork Belly – braised cabbage, golden raisin, pan jus Dessert: Beer Bread Pudding – fresh cream.
7 – Half Baked Beer Dinner
Wednesday at 6:30pm at Caleb & Broad
On Wednesday April 20th (Yes, 4/20) Caleb & Broad and Holy Smokes R.I. present the Half Baked Beer Dinner, a four course deliciously different menu paired with craft beer from various brewers…definitely an experience you won’t forget (or maybe will). 4 courses + 4 beers for only $45. More Info
8 – Jane Springer Poetry Reading
Thursday at 6pm at Ochre Court
Celebrated poet Jane Springer, a National Endowment for the Arts grant recipient and Whiting Writers’ Award winner who teaches literature and creative writing at Hamilton College in upstate New York, will present a poetry reading when she visits Salve Regina’s campus next week.
The reading and reception will be presented on Thursday, April 21 at 6 p.m. in Ochre Court, 100 Ochre Point Ave. Hosted by the university’s English and communications department in observance of National Poetry Month, the event is free and open to the public. More Info
9 – Student Choreography Showcase
April 21 – 23 at Salve’s Megley Theatre
Salve Regina University’s dance minors will present new dance works in their annual Student Choreography Showcase, which is being directed by assistant professor of dance Lindsay Guarino and 2015 Salve Regina graduate Cayley Christoforou. Performances will be given in Megley Theatre, located in Antone Academic Center on Lawrence Avenue, on Thursdayand Friday, April 21-22 at 8 p.m. and on Saturday, April 23 at 2 p.m. Admission is $3 for Salve Regina students and $5 for faculty, staff and the community. More Info
10 – JAC Talk with Martin Keen
Friday at 6pm at Jamestown Arts Center
Join the Jamestown Arts Center (JAC) on Friday, April 22 at 6:00pm for a talk by Martin Keen, founder, designer and CEO of Focal Upright and founder of KEEN Footwear. This entrepreneur and thought leader in industrial design has led both companies to become successful disruptors in their industries. Keen’s designs have reshaped and redefined entire categories of consumer products. He was named the 2014 Ohio State University Distinguished Alumni for his design work and was the original inductee into the RI Design Hall of Fame. He has received numerous awards including the Chicago Athenaeum’s 2015 GOOD DESIGN™ and the footwear industry’s 2003 Launch of the Year for KEEN. More Info
11 – Improv For Bob
Thursday at 7pm
Come laugh your a$$ off and hear Bob’s great laugh with an improve show put on by the Bit Players of Newport to end ALS!!! A large portion of the proceeds will be going directly to Bobby’s fight with ALS! Pre-order tickets online for $20 at http://www.firehousetheater.org/qsot-event/newyearseveat7/2016-04-21_700pm/. At the door tickets will be $25
12 – Live Improv Comedy with The Bit Players
Friday and Saturday at 8pm at The Firehouse Theatre
RI’s most award-winning comedy troupe hits the stage with their hilarious improv show full of larger than life characters, hysterical musical numbers, & the quickest wit you’ll ever see EVERY Fri & Sat night at 8pm. If you are going for a special occasion & would like a person(s) of honor to be part of the show let us know in advance. We will create a customized game just for your group! We encourage ALL guests to buy tickets online, shows often sell out. All shows are BYOB! Laugh More.Tickets and more information available at www.bitplayers.net.
Live Music, Entertainment & Comedy Listings
- Diegos: Trivia at 9pm
- Fastnet: Live music with The Ubiquitones from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Fifth Element: Live music with The Groove Merchants from 7pm to 10pm
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with Julio Amaro from 6pm to 9pm. No cover.
- Empire Tea & Coffee (Broadway Location): Acoustic folk jam at 7:30pm.
- O’brien’s: Trivia at 9:30pm
- Wharf Pub: Open Mic at 8pm.
- Buskers: Open mic night with Mike Warner from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Fastnet: Pub Trivia at 9pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music at 8pm
- Norey’s Star Restaurant: Live music with at 9pm. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with The Throttles from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Sardella’s: Live jazz music at 7:30pm. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live jazz music at 7pm.
- Celtica: Trivia at 9pm
- Hibernian Hall: Live music with The Playboys at 6pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Open mic at 9pm.
- Norey’s Star Restaurant: Live jazz music at 7:30pm. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with The HonkyTonk Knights from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Speakeasy: Live music with Justin Pomfret at 9pm.
- Wharf Pub: Bingo at 8pm
- Buskers: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No Cover.
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10pm. No cover.
- Clarke Cooke House: DJ & Dancing in the Boom Boom Room from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Firehouse Theater: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8pm.
- Hotel Viking (One Bellevue Lounge): Live music from 7pm – 11pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music with at 9pm.
- Jo’s Bistro: Live music with John & Joanne from 7pm to 10pm. No cover.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music at 10pm. No cover.
- Newport Blues Cafe: Live music at 9pm.
- One Pelham East: Live music at 9pm.
- Parlor Bar & Kitchen: Live music at 9pm.
- Speakeasy: Live music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live Reggae music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Wharf Pub: Live music at 8:30pm. No cover.