Haute couture, grande cuisine & French Riviera glam are the inspirations for Bal du Soleil, the social climax of the polo season on Friday, Aug. 5, 2016, with the French Polo Team to support newportFilm.
Hosted by Newport Polo, the annual sell-out event draws nearly 400 generous and fun-loving attendees to make a red carpet entrance inspired by French Riviera glamour for a night of exquisite gourmet cuisine, dancing and heart-warming philanthropy, to welcome international guests of honor, the French Polo Team, and support the 2016 beneficiary, newportFilm.
newportFILM is a year-round documentary film series that brings powerful messages and engaging experiences to the Newport community. This worthy organization connects our community to the world around us and inspires us to rise above ourselves. Films screened at unique locations across Aquidneck Island are curated from festivals around the world and represent the work of established and emerging filmmakers. Harnessing the power of film to inspire, motivate, entertain and create change, newportFILM presents year–round programming and dialogue on the issues that matter in our lives. More about newportFilm.
Tickets are now available at www.nptpolo.com for the popular event that will begin with a pre-gala Cocktail Meet & Greet with the French Team at the chic Forty 1° North, then on to Rosecliff for the main event that includes a reception with hors d’oeuvres and specialty cocktails created by the Cocktail Guru, a highly anticipated Silent Auction in which a carefully curated collection of unique items & exclusive opportunities will be offered for the highest bidder, a seated gourmet dinner in the gilded ballroom, a whirlwind Live Auction by Sotheby’s auctioneer, who will offer up the night’s crown jewels, and dancing to a live orchestra until the stroke of midnight . The odyssey’s finale ascends to the Skybar atop Clarke Cooke House for a last dance.
Gala lodging is provided by the Official Gala Hotel, Forty 1° North, Newport’s newest waterfront destination, state-of-the-art Hotel and Marina, for beautifully appointed lodgings, extraordinary service, exciting restaurants and chic lounges – everything you’d expect in a world class resort. Ranked #9 Best Hotels in the Northeast by Conde Nast Traveler Reader’s Choice Awards. Located at 351 Thames Street, Newport, 401-846-8018.
16 years and counting, the International Polo Charity Ball is the social highlight of the polo season. The weekend’s festivities continue the next day when the international guests of honor take to the polo field to compete against USA in the Newport International Polo Series on Saturday, Aug. 6 at 5pm. The match concludes with an authentic New England Lobsterbake prepared by legendary bake masters from McGrath’s Clambakes. For all upcoming events, visit www.nptpolo.com.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)
- 4th Annual Cardines Classic featuring Army versus Navy rescheduled to October 1
- Davis Cup will take place at the International Tennis Hall of Fame this weekend
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: Things to do, live music, and more (Sept. 17 – 19)
- Rhode Island Pop-Punk band Another One Down! releases single + video “Headspace”
- 23 open houses happening this weekend (Sept. 17 – 19)
- X Shore: Swedish electric boating brand opens office at Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard
- Westerly Town Manager quits; Police Chief expected to be appointed interim manager