Discover the best events, activities and things to do during March in and around Newport, RI.
March is Newport Irish Heritage Month for a full list of events, activities and things to do, visit www.aohnewport.org.
(In chronological order)
1 – Newport St. Patrick’s Day Pint Nights
March 6th – 11th
Eager with anticipation for the 2016 60th Annual Newport St. Patrick’s Day Parade? Well, Newport Storm’s Spring Irish Red Ale has been named official beer of the parade for the fifth year! Newport Storm and the Parade Committee will host a pint night at a different bar each night of parade week, Grab a Spring Irish Red Ale and $2 of the purchase goes right to the parade committee and the commemorative pint glass . Grab all the details at NewportStorm.com
- Monday – Mudville Pub 6pm – 9pm
- Tuesday – Midtown Oyster Bar 8pm
- Wednesday – O’brien’s Pub 10pm
- Thursday – The Fifth Element 9pm
- Friday – Buskers 7pm
2 – Newport Art Museum’s Art After Dark: In Like A Lion, Out Like A Lamb
Thursday, March 10th at 5pm
Animate this wintery eve with friends and family at the Newport Art Museum! Allow the vibrant works on view in the galleries to inspire and delight you. Revel in Islay Taylor’s extravagant mixed media neckpieces, savor Lost Art Cultured Foods lovingly crafted, delicious krauts and kimchi, gaze at the wonder of the night sky with Skyscrapers, Inc. Amateur Astronomical Society of Rhode Island’s incredible telescopes, sip drinks in the Library, dig into our DIY crafts, explore with the scavenger games, and look closer with our themed guided tours! Admission is free for Members. ($10 suggested donation for non-members)
3 – March Newport Gallery Night
Thursday, March 10th from 5pm – 8pm
A new month is beginning and with it comes another Newport Gallery Night! This month Newport Gallery Night falls on March 10, 2016 from 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. at participating galleries, museums and cultural institutions. If you’re still feeling the winter blues don’t miss the chance to visit our participating galleries which are all featuring wonderful shows that are sure to hold you over until spring arrives. For more information about Newport Gallery Night and Newport Gallery Organization, visit http://www.newportgalleries.org/
4 – Dine To Donate
Thursday, March 10th from 5pm – 9pm
Dine at Fluke Wine, Bar & Kitchen on Thursday night while supporting the Norman Bird Sanctuary. Support The Norman Bird Sanctuary in this terrific one night only event! $50 for Three Courses.
5 – Expo & Job Fair
Friday, March 11th at 4pm
The Newport County Chamber of Commerce’s 2016 EXPO and Job Fair will take place this Friday, March 11th from 4:00 – 7:00 p.m. at the Hyatt Regency, Newport. Join over 130 exhibitors as they showcase their businesses, current promotions and offers. This year enjoy food and wine tastings by Blackstone Caterers, Fifth Element, Cilantro Mexican, Russell Morin Fine Caterers, Greenvale Vineyards. There will be face painting sponsored by Senior Fit, chair massages by Serenity Day Spa, eyebrow waxing by Kimberly for Consistently Excellent Eyebrows, music by Lois Vaughn Jazz, and over 80 door prizes to be won! Make sure you enter for the GRAND door prize of an overnight stay at Bristol Harbor Inn with dinner for two at DeWolf Tavern. FREE admission for Chamber members and their employees and only $3.00 for general admission!
If you are a job seeker there will be many hiring healthcare providers such as Visiting Nurse Services, Newport Hospital, Newport Mental Health, Healtherwood and more. The hospitality industry will be represented by Newport Marriott, the Hyatt, and Hotel Viking. Retail shops like Soap and Water and The Shops @ Music Box will be there along with the Preservation Society of Newport County and McGrath’s Clambakes. Bring your resume for FREE entry into the EXPO and Job Fair.
The Chamber looks forward to kicking it all off with the Newport St. Patrick’s Day parade grand marshals and 1540 WADK/Mixx 99.3! See you there!
6 – The Irish Revival 5 Beers + 5 Courses
Friday, March 11th at 7pm
The Irish Revival Beer Dinner 5 Beers + 5 Courses will be held at ‘VUE on March 11, 2016 at 7:00pm.
Hosted by Revival Brewing & Russell Morin Catering & Events, this dinner will consist of five different beers served with five different courses. $55 Per Person.Call ‘VUE to make reservations 401.848.0472. For more information, visit the Facebook Event
7 – Friday Movie Night – Paddington
Friday, March 11th at 7pm
Friday movie night at Kay Chapel starts at 7pm (doors open at 6:30pm). Free valet parking, free movie and popcorn. Pre-movie Dinner Specials: free children’s entrée with each purchased adult entrée.
8 – Live Improv Comedy with The Bit Players
Friday, March 11th at 8pm
RI’s most award-winning comedy troupe hits the stage with their hilarious improv show full of larger than life characters, hysterical musical numbers, & the quickest wit you’ll ever see EVERY Fri & Sat night at 8pm. If you are going for a special occasion & would like a person(s) of honor to be part of the show let us know in advance. We will create a customized game just for your group! We encourage ALL guests to buy tickets online, shows often sell out. All shows are BYOB! Laugh More.
Live Music, Entertainment & Comedy Listings
- Diegos: Trivia at 9pm
- Fastnet: Live music with The Ubiquitones from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Fifth Element: Live music with The Groove Merchants from 7pm to 10pm
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with Julio Amaro from 6pm to 9pm. No cover.
- Empire Tea & Coffee (Broadway Location): Acoustic folk jam at 7:30pm.
- O’brien’s: Trivia at 9:30pm
- Wharf Pub: Open Mic at 8pm.
- Buskers: Open mic night with Mike Warner from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Fastnet: Pub Trivia at 9pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music at 8pm
- Norey’s Star Restaurant: Live music with at 9pm. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with The Throttles from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Sardella’s: Live jazz music at 7:30pm. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live jazz music at 7pm.
- Celtica: Trivia at 9pm
- Hibernian Hall: Live music with The Playboys at 6pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Open mic at 9pm.
- Norey’s Star Restaurant: Live jazz music at 7:30pm. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with The HonkyTonk Knights from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Speakeasy: Live music with Justin Pomfret at 9pm.
- Wharf Pub: Bingo at 8pm
- Buskers: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No Cover.
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10pm. No cover.
- Clarke Cooke House: DJ & Dancing in the Boom Boom Room from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Firehouse Theater: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8pm.
- Hotel Viking (One Bellevue Lounge): Live music from 7pm – 11pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music with at 9pm.
- Jo’s Bistro: Live music with John & Joanne from 7pm to 10pm. No cover.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music at 10pm. No cover.
- Newport Blues Cafe: Live music at 9pm.
- One Pelham East: Live music at 9pm.
- Parlor Bar & Kitchen: Live music at 9pm.
- Speakeasy: Live music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live Reggae music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Wharf Pub: Live music at 8:30pm. No cover.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels
- Newport resident named new VP & Branch Sales Manager at BankNewport’s North Kingstown branch
- Ticket Giveaway: S.G. Goodman Saturday, Oct. 30th at the Newport Casino
- Nor’easter Update: National Grid responding to power outages
- Update: All restrictions lifted on Newport Pell and Jamestown Verrazzano Bridges
- Got storm photos? Send us your pics by 9PM Wednesday
- Obituary: Molly Falconer de Ramel
- Grey Sail Brewing celebrating 10 years
- LIVE BLOG | Rhode Island cancellations, closures, and delays