The 60th Annual Newport Saint Patrick’s Day Parade will be held, rain, snow, or shine, on Saturday, March 12th, 2016. It will begin promptly at 11:00am from Newport City Hall and will proceed to Carroll Avenue at Saint Augustin’s Church in the heart of the Fifth Ward. The parade this year is estimated to last 2 hours.
Traffic will be congested in the downtown area from about 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Parking will be limited.
The parade participants will be begin staging on lower Broadway at about 9:00Am, so it is recommended that people coming to Newport to view the parade avoid Broadway.
The two best routes into the city with available public parking are: Westbound on Memorial Blvd, right onto Bellevue Ave. (northbound), left on Church St. and right into the Waterfront Parking lot (situated between Church and Mary St.) Farewell St. South to America’s Cup Ave., and right into the Gateway parking garage.
Parking is prohibited on the following streets from 5:00AM to 3:00PM. All vehicles parked in restricted areas will be towed: No parking along parade route.
- Broadway from Cranston/Equality Park West to Washington Square
- Equality Park Place and Equality Park West
- Dr. Marcus F. Wheatland Blvd. (West side)
- Bull St. at Spring St.
- Spring St At Bull St.
- Washington Sq. from Broadway to Thames St.
- Thames St. from America’s Cup Ave. to Morton Ave.
- Carroll Ave. from Morton Ave. to Harrison Ave.
- Both sides of America’s Cup at the Gateway Center Narragansett Ave between Spring St and Bellevue Avenue.
During this year’s parade the Newport Police Department will be strictly enforcing City Ordinances (open containers of alcohol in public, noise violations, disorderly conduct, and underage drinking) along the parade route and the surrounding areas. The Police Department will have a strong presence to make this a fun, safe and family friendly event.
- Parade Begins: Lower Broadway Washington Sq
- Thames St. southbound
- XOA to America’s Cup southbound Thames St southbound at Memorial Blvd. Carroll Ave
- Parade Ends at St. Augustin’s Church
- Southbound Broadway diverted onto Marcas Wheatland Blvd southbound at Equality Park.
- Spring St northbound diverted away from Broadway and up Bull St. to Kay St
- Westbound Memorial Blvd West diverted northbound on Thames St at the Post Office
- Northbound Thames St diverted away from America’s Cup up Mill St to Spring St.
The Latest From WUN
- Bowzer’s Rock ‘N’ Doo-Wop Party 20th Anniversary coming to Mohegan Sun Jan. 16
- What’s Up at the Movies: We Review “Dune”
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Minks rock Askew (October 21, 2021)
- New behavioral health pharmacy in EBCAP to serve those with mental health and addiction issues
- Newport Art Museum to present “Newport: The City as a Work of Art” lecture series with John R. Tschirch