The National Weather Service issued a Wind Chill Warning for most of Southern New England at 9:27pm this evening, the warning is in effect until 12 p.m. on Sunday.
Before factoring in the wind chill, Newport is expected to wake up to -4 degree temperatures on Sunday morning.
With wind chill reading between 20 and 35 degrees below zero, the worst of the wind chills will occur into Sunday morning.
Wind chills this cold can bring on frostbite in as little as 10 minutes. Outdoor exposure should be limited in these conditions. Strong winds this afternoon and evening may down a few large tree limbs.
A Wind Chill Waring is issues when the wind chill index is likely to fall to -25 degrees or colder for at least three hours.
The Latest From WUN
- City of Newport: A portion of the Cliff Walk will be closed on Monday for maintenance
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend