The Superintendent of Newport Public School sent out the following message to parents of students just after 10:30am this morning;
“Dear Newport Families and Community,
Within the last five minutes, we have received another call indicating a bomb threat at Rogers High School. In an abundance of caution, we are evacuating Rogers High School to Murphy Field.”
- 11:00 am – Students at Rogers have been dismissed for the day.
- 12:30 pm – According to the Rhode Island Interscholastic League – Rogers High School Boys Varsity and JV games scheduled for today have been postponed.
- All after school activities at Rogers High School have been cancelled.
- 3pm press release from NPD – At 10:10 A.M. this morning the Newport Police Department was notified by the Rhode Island State Police Wickford Barracks stating there was a threat to Rogers High School. This threat was relayed to the School Department and the evacuation process was initiated. It was later determined by the Newport School Department that school would be dismissed out of an abundance of caution. The Newport Police Department in conjunction with Newport Fire, Newport Schools, Rhode Island State Police and Rhode Island Fire Marshalls office instituted a unified command system and began preparations to clear the school. Rogers High School and the grounds were searched extensively and there was no evidence of any suspicious devices. It should be noted that the school was cleared and reopened to staff at 1:30 p.m. This threat as with the other two is still being investigated but it is believed to be a hoax at this time and is similar in nature to the previous two made against the Newport School district. An increased police presence will continue as we remain committed to the safety of our schools. The Newport Police Department is committed to keeping our schools safe and would like to reassure the public that at no time was any staff or students in any danger. We will continue to investigate all such claims.”
Yesterday’s Threat – UPDATE: Newport Public Schools Receive Another Anonymous Threat
This story will be updated as more information is received.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)
- 4th Annual Cardines Classic featuring Army versus Navy rescheduled to October 1
- Davis Cup will take place at the International Tennis Hall of Fame this weekend
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: Things to do, live music, and more (Sept. 17 – 19)
- Rhode Island Pop-Punk band Another One Down! releases single + video “Headspace”
- 23 open houses happening this weekend (Sept. 17 – 19)
- X Shore: Swedish electric boating brand opens office at Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard
- Westerly Town Manager quits; Police Chief expected to be appointed interim manager