The Newport City Council met on Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. in Executive Session to discuss the candidates for City Manager.
The seven members of City Council voted 6-1, with Justin McLaughing voting against, to appoint Interim City Manager Joseph J. Nicholson Jr. to the permanent position of City Manager.
The decision is pending contract negotiations between Nicholson and the city for the position.
At the July 9, 2014 Newport City Council meeting and with the departure of City Manager Jane Howington, the City Council appointed Joseph J. Nicholson, Jr., Esq. to serve as Newport’s Interim City Manager, it was effective July 25, 2014.
Nicholson has been quoted by the Newport Daily News and Providence Journal on May 14th, 2015 as being not interested in the permanent position.
Newport City Council has said that Nicholson has changed his mind and stance about taking over the postion because of several ongoing projects happening in Newport, including projects such as the Innovation Hub.
This story will be updated as more information is received.
City Of Newport’s Government
The City of Newport operates under a home rule charter.
The Charter provides for a Council/City Manager form of government.
The Council is comprised of seven members; one representative is elected from the City’s three voting wards and four are elected at-large, all for two year terms.
The Mayor is elected by the Council from among the four at-large councilors.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Concert Recap and Photos: Felix Cavaliere’s Rascals at the Greenwich Odeum (September 18, 2021)
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle